Discuss Splicing wire for generator hookup in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Borgia

DIY
Reaction score
Im planning on setting up and interlock generator hookup up. My portable generator is 30 amps. I ran 25 ft of 10/2 wire from my panel to the outside. Lets just say this wire run was really difficult and its not easy to run a longer replacement wire. Anyways the 10/2 wire is about 10 feet to short. Can I just use a box and splice an additional 10 feet of wire to get the generator hookup where I need it? Or is this not advisable since a generator will be running on it?

In short, yes it can be joined.
should be in a box with adequate connections .

I think they are considered good enough in the us.
@Megawatt is based your side of the pond and should be able to confirm.

It is not just the joining of the conductors using wirenut or something else, you also need some junction box that will provide mechanical support for the cables (so the joints are not flexed as any cables move) as well as preventing water or fingers getting to the joints.

Typically in the UK we might use something like the Whiska 407 box (which comes with some leaver-action Wago joints, though I don't think they would take #10AWG cable as that is almost 6mm^2):

Along with a couple of IP68 rated plastic glands to clamp the cables:

If your joint is indoors (so no need for any IP style of water resistance) then you can get complete junction boxes like these with screw terminals and cable clamps built in:

However, @Megawatt is likely to know what sort of enclosures are available and suitable in the USA.

Last edited:
Im planning on setting up and interlock generator hookup up. My portable generator is 30 amps. I ran 25 ft of 10/2 wire from my panel to the outside. Lets just say this wire run was really difficult and its not easy to run a longer replacement wire. Anyways the 10/2 wire is about 10 feet to short. Can I just use a box and splice an additional 10 feet of wire to get the generator hookup where I need it? Or is this not advisable since a generator will be running on it?
Yes you can splice your wires and you have 2 choices. Use a box which cannot be under ground because it has to be accessible. The second choice is what I have done in the past is Home Depot and Lowe’s sell underground splice kits. Make sure you have a heat gun to shrink the rubber tubing after you make your splice.

Reply to Splicing wire for generator hookup in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net