Discuss Wiring for heating in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bets advice I'd give is to get on the honeywell website and see if they are running a heating controls & installation course close to you.

A few lads on here, myself included have been on it and for someone with little or no eperienec with heating systems, you will find it very useful.

Also there are a number of 'stickies' in the central heating forum with many diagrams and hints & tips etc.

I haven't done much heating wiring at all, but when I have (twice) I just use the diagrams posted in the central heating forum, and follow it, along with the manufacturers instructions if present. No probs so far.

Heating systems are fairly straight forward once you've done a few of them but there are a few things you need to remember.

1. The heating engineer requires an isolator to be fitted near the boiler for servicing. We've talked about this before on here and have come to the conclusion that it's to satisfy their regulations rather then ours but it's better to know in advance then not. The isolator can be used to turn off all the power to the central heating system or (if the FCU feeding the controls is remote from the boiler) just the boiler itself. If you are just isolating the boiler then a 3 pole isolator is required to disconnect PL, SL and N.

2. S-Plans and Y-Plans need a slightly different amount of wiring to each position so be sure of which you are fitting first. S-Plans (with 2x valves) require 4 cores from the wiring centre to the programmer and 2 cores from the wiring centre to the cylinder stat. On the flip side the Y-Plan (1x mid position valve) requires an extra core to both the programmer and the cylinder stat from the wiring centre. The rest of the system is wired the same in all cases with a 3 core to the room stat, 2 cores to the pump and 4 cores (to be safe) to the boiler all from the wiring centre. I always ensure the boiler has 5 cores as most modern boilers will have a permanent supply to them (L+N), switch live and more often then not a pump live. For reference I have omitted the CPCs in my core count to make life easier so don't forget to allow for them too. Once you've got all your cables in it's just a case of following the wiring diagram.

3. When you start making your final connections at the wiring centre you will have quite a few wires to play with so do them in a methodical way. Strip everything back and connect all your CPCs in to one connector block, that will account for the best part of 20% of all the wires present. Once you've done that connect all your neutrals. This will sort out roughly another 10%. Once you've done that connect all your permanent lives. By this stage you'll be nearly half way through so the rest should be quite easy however make sure that you don't connect the brown wires from the valves to the permanent lives. The brown wires are used to operate the valve motors so it's the grey ones (on a S Plan) that are the PLs.

So long as you're methodical in your approach to wiring and connecting a central heating system then there is no reason why it should be difficult at all. I've been doing S-Plan systems regularly for a few years now and can connect them without the help of a wiring diagram so it's obviously something that becomes easy with practice. There are other systems that are more complicated (underfloor heating systems for example) however it's usually a case of wiring by numbers and if you're ever unsure about how many cores you need to each point then pull in an extra cable just in case. ;)

Honeywell do a great free app for the iphone that has a lot of wiring diagrams on it. Very useful. I was never taught how to wire them during my apprenticeship or at college, but after doing a few i'm getting my head round them.

Hi guys just noticed this thread and wondered if you could help with a under floor heating problem. I have wired up a new UFH system ( S plan) in addition to the main heating also S plan. Both have there own pump but as I now have two switch feeds to the boiler, when one calls for heat but the other dosn't both pumps run. How do I stop the back feed to the other pump?

Honeywell do a great free app for the iphone that has a lot of wiring diagrams on it. Very useful. I was never taught how to wire them during my apprenticeship or at college, but after doing a few i'm getting my head round them.

Funily enough I was with one of my plumber mates and his appy a few days ago (and my appy) and we had a conversation about this very subject. Turns out that the colleges teach heating wiring on the plumbing courses and not on the leccy courses. Strange!

Hi guys just noticed this thread and wondered if you could help with a under floor heating problem. I have wired up a new UFH system ( S plan) in addition to the main heating also S plan. Both have there own pump but as I now have two switch feeds to the boiler, when one calls for heat but the other dosn't both pumps run. How do I stop the back feed to the other pump?

Should've put in one pump and wired it as an S plan plus (4 zone). Bet a plumber designed it without a thought to the wiring up!

And how does the boiler cope with the pump over-run requirement?

Last edited by a moderator:

You need a relay. Buy yourself a 8 pin relay with 230V coil. You then wire the orange wire from the UFH motorised valve to the coil (A1) of the relay. A permanent live needs wiring to the common terminals then the manifold pump is wired to one of the NO (normally open) terminals and the boiler on to the other NO terminal. Don't forget to take a neutral to the relay (A2) too for the coil to work.

The main thing in wiring central heating systems is to try to understand how it actually works as opposed to just copying a wiring diagram.
I learnt how to do them "parrot fashion" on the old style smith's systems and i kept a copy of the wiring diagram in my toolbox so that made it a lot easier until..... i went back on one to fault find a faulty component.
That was hard work just trying to get my head around it but once i did i never had a problem with any system after that, and i've done some right buggers since.
Their not actually that difficult to understand but some sparks get in a right old state !

one problem is that plumbers buy the systems .and instead of buying one make .ie honeywell .tower .etc .they buy the cheapest parts and give them to the electrician to connect up .whilst the sparky cross references 3 different instructions/wiring diagrams .

I was sent out in my second year of my apprenticeship to wire y-plans by myself. I couldn't quite get my head around it for the first few times as the plumbers were using different boilers every time (requiring 3,4 or 5 cores) It finally sunk in one Friday evening at 19:30. Usually at this time on a Friday I would have been in the pub. I still even remember the address of the property. My boss had done the job originally but from what I could see he had done it totally wrong. I ended up stripping the whole job and re-doing it. The plumber also gave me 2 cans of Stella when we left.

The main thing in wiring central heating systems is to try to understand how it actually works as opposed to just copying a wiring diagram.
I learnt how to do them "parrot fashion" on the old style smith's systems and i kept a copy of the wiring diagram in my toolbox so that made it a lot easier until..... i went back on one to fault find a faulty component.
That was hard work just trying to get my head around it but once i did i never had a problem with any system after that, and i've done some right buggers since.
Their not actually that difficult to understand but some sparks get in a right old state !

I Used to connect Yplans by colours on a wiring diagram every time, until I actually took the time to speak to a plumber and understand what the valve does. I never need a wiring plan anymore which is a good job with the systems out there now. The book would need to be really big.

What bit are you lost with , is it the valve 2 ports and 3 ports , honeywell course or simaler course , the brown open valve and when it opens the orange and grey make contact like a switch so you put 230v threw it or no volt contact , best way make mistakes then you learn , need any help I got few books which help alot

Reply to Wiring for heating in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net