Discuss wiring in cavity in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Andrew54

I am a potential customer for PV panels and I am wondering about the cable run from invertor in loft to meter and consumer unit. I want the finished job to look neat, and it's not going to be easy. What about going down from the loft inside the cavity wall?

It is a dormer style roof so there is no easy route from loft to eaves. It's a semi detached so only one gable wall. Meter etc is in the cupboard under stairs halfway along this gable wall, but with a large house extension built at the side so cupboard is roughly in centre of the house! The original cavity wall is no longer an outside wall and this cavity could make an easy route from cupboard-under-stairs up to loft.

Will a cable in the cavity comply with regs? Obviously you can't get in the cavity to clip the cable.

I was thinking of putting in some sort of rigid conduit myself, then the electrician can thread the cable through easily. To make it easy I was thinking of using a rigid plastic pipe of 32mm, maybe sink waste pipe.

Would this be ok? Would it comply with regs having a cable inside such a conduit?

Your thoughts gentlemen please.

You know, if it's a double leafed wall with an air cavity, and you put a pipe down it, if it touches both leaves you could introduce damp in to the house. A passage for water. Just a thought.

You know, if it's a double leafed wall with an air cavity, and you put a pipe down it, if it touches both leaves you could introduce damp in to the house. A passage for water. Just a thought.
Loop 3, this is no longer an outside wall, it is now an internal wall with the house at one side and the extension at the other side, so damp crossing the cavity is not an issue. I agree with your thoughts though, and thanks.

Reply to wiring in cavity in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net