Discuss Yale Wireless Smart Phone Alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not the best alarm to fit, more aimed at the diy market for limited protection, with calls a 50p plus a minute.
Yale can be expanded with additional equipment easily through learning program.

Yale alarm? Do a Craig David and "Walk away" lol. As above other makes are available, cost a bit more but you will get a lot more for your money. It's for your own house, just spend the extra £50 and have a decent system.

Visonic are good with very easy setup straight out of the box (all pre programmed). Just think the panel & bell box look so ugly...but thats my opinion..lol

personally, i like the gardtech 600. 8 wired zones if you want them. 8 wireless zones with 1 wireless receiver, or 16 with 2. and the detector batteries can last up to 7 years. recommended replacement is at 2 years.

can you send me some links.. im wanting the smart phone system and photo P.I.Rs, i am requiring 7 contacts and 4 PIR's. We use CEF, Eyre & Elliston so will these wholesalers supply them?

gardtech is supplied direct from manufacturer, risco.co.uk in middleton manchester. you'd need to create a cash account and then buy what you need over the phone or online and it's delivered next day.

got one at home and there crap, the pir's keep unsyncing so if im at home i dont bother unsetting it and only have to unset it before i go out any doors (door contacts seem to stay synced for some reason)

Im an industrial maintenance electrician not my usual field but wanting some advice as above been looking at this system for my house, I am wondering whether extra P.I.R's and contacts can be added to these systems easily?

any help would be great

cheers Joel

Yale EF-KIT3 Easy Fit Smart Phone Alarm Kit: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

"Hello Joel",

I suggest that You look at the `critical reviews` on the Amazon listing that you posted the link to - although I know that ANY product can get problems / less than totally favourable reviews - after you read those reviews I doubt that you will then purchase that particular Alarm system - ?

I certainly would NOT after reading the `critical reviews` and the comments about the Server for the Smart phone App `only being maintained until 2018`!

I have had a Yale alarm system operating in my Home for the last 16 Years - as You will know at that age it is not Smart phone accessible but it has been VERY reliable - I have quite a lot of Detectors - Door and Window detectors and PIR`s - plus 3 Remote Control Fobs - quite a lot of individual items which have been surprisingly reliable.

I have had hardly any problems with it over those years apart from a couple of issues where a `signal` from something nearby started `blocking` a detector from sending its status signals to the Control Box - after replacing the detectors with new which did not solve the problems I had to relocate detectors further inside my House and wire the wireless detectors to magnetic door contacts so that the `interference` signals would no longer affect the detectors.

Those `interference episodes` were about 3 Years apart - although I have seen the Interference warning light on the Control Box illuminate a few times throughout the Years.

I don`t think that would be a `Fix` on more up to date Yale wireless detectors - my original / replacement detectors have the facility to be Wired - I think that the present Yale wireless detectors are NOT `wire able`.

Before buying the Yale Alarm I spoke to Yale Customer Services / Technical Helpline to ask about the possibility of `external interference` - they assured Me that there was `hardly ANY chance of this happening` because `nothing else uses our frequency`.

They jokingly stated that `unless You have the SAS carrying out surveillance nearby / using the same frequency as the Alarm detectors nothing will interfere with your Yale Alarm`.

However this was NOT true - the Control Box has an Interference Warning light on the front ! and within the Installation instructions there were references to even ordinary household items [Cordless phones - Microwave Ovens and more] POSSIBLY causing interference to the detector status signals !

That is without the possibility of some form of `Signal` from something in a nearby property which interferes with the Alarm detectors transmissions to the Control Box.

It is important that nothing causes interference to the detector status signals which are transmitted every 30 minutes because if the detectors `miss` successfully transmitting their status signals on 3 consecutive occasions this will trigger an Alarm - this was happening at my Home at 3am - 5am so it is anyone's guess what was `blocking` the detector status signals during that time period and I had to disable the problem detectors until I got the problem resolved.

I have detailed those points Joel as I THINK that most Wireless Alarm systems operate in this way - regarding the status signals being transmitted to the Control Box - I have Friends who have had almost endless problems with `interference` from somewhere which rendered their Wireless Alarm system almost Useless !

When I have to replace the Alarm system in my House I will definitely be looking to go for a WIRED system - with no possible problems regarding external interference.

I don`t think that the couple of problems that I described were because there was anything wrong with the Yale Alarm system / components - they look like `Good Quality`/ `Well Made` items to Me and most of the System components have lasted over 16 Years.

Good Luck in finding a good Smart phone accessible Alarm system Joel - I am sure that You will get some excellent advice on here.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
let me ask you guys one question.

wifi has been around for 15 years in domestic so why is it still ****ty with bad reception at home?

just looking at this don't you think a wireless alarm is a bad idea?

there are many free tools that you can use to see which frequencys are being used

let me ask you guys one question.

wifi has been around for 15 years in domestic so why is it still ****ty with bad reception at home?

just looking at this don't you think a wireless alarm is a bad idea?

there are many free tools that you can use to see which frequencys are being used

The problem with WiFi it is restricted to a small number of RF channels at a relatively low power output with limitations on antenna gain within the 2.4 GHz band, although this is a free to air license free band there are some organisations that buy licences to operate at a higher radio output powers in the 2.4 GHz band for specific events which can and does interfere with any ordinary WiFi that is close by. There are also point to point radio links that utilise this band for local building to building network interconnections. So you have 13 channels that are very cluttered and even using frequency hopping technology are very prone to poor quality unless you are in the middle of nowhere.
The newer 5 GHz WiFi frequency does have it's problems and can suffer from interference and blocking as the deployment of more units increases this will have an adverse affect on the signal quality the same as the 2.4 Ghz band

Wireless alarm systems are improving all the time but the level of RF interference is increasing what has to be considered is how many different RF using systems can be co located before you experience problems. I have never been a big fan of the Yale systems look cheap but seem to have an unknown ongoing cost

If you have access to a spectrum analyser you can get a very good picture of how much RF clutter is in the air and using a directional antenna quite often the source. When I was involved in data radio installation a few years ago one of our 2.4 GHz installations would get wiped out for hours at a time this was narrowed down to a local wood merchant who had a microwave wood drying kiln that was leaking a lot of high power 2.4 GHz which would wipe out any WiFi

All modern alarm systems are on 868mhz...the problem is most work only one way..ie the pir transmits to the control panel, on alarm, tamper or low battery. This makes it easy to block or defeat.....A Grade 2 wireless system, transmits on a dual path both ways..ie pir sends status, control panel sends return confirm signal. This also allows re transmission, such as on Texecom, if a pir is out of range with the control panel, it will send signal via the nearest device, basically using it as a repeater. This idea with grade 2 systems, such as Visonic, Menvier Ion, and Texecom is the bandwidth of the signal is also very narrow 12khz, anything above or below its signal is ignored by being off frequency, giving no interference from other systems. So basically you have a choice...diy or grade 2 professional..!!

Reply to Yale Wireless Smart Phone Alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net