Discuss Zone heating in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mwoods4757

Hi,
I've never really had much to do with heating systems so just wondered what you require for a 2 zone system. Would a 2 channel programmer such as a danfoss and just two room thermostats work? Would each room stat have to be programable or would this just be ok to have one at the main programmer and just two basic room stats.
Sorry if this seems basic and thanks for any help.

Horstmann 371F 371F masterpack 3 zone + 3 channel programmerwww.plumbcenter.co.uk/.../horstmann-371f-371f-masterpack--3-zone--3- channel-programmer/ - CachedHorstmann 371F 371F masterpack 3 zone + 3 channel programmer ... Pack Consists of 1 x ChannelPlus H37XL, 3 x Z222 Zone Valves, 2 x HRT3 Room Stats, ...

Hi,
I've never really had much to do with heating systems so just wondered what you require for a 2 zone system. Would a 2 channel programmer such as a danfoss and just two room thermostats work? Would each room stat have to be programable or would this just be ok to have one at the main programmer and just two basic room stats.
Sorry if this seems basic and thanks for any help.

I had a nice little set-up in my last house.

Combi boiler 2x 2 port zone valves and 2x programmable Room Stats.

House divided into 2 separate zones each zone with its own zone valve operated by its own programmable stat.

Boiler switched by the micro switches in the zone valves wired in parallel so either or both zone valves can fire the boiler.

Yes a normal 2 channel programmer will work with 2 or more room stats connected to the heating channel.

You simply take the 'on' from the programmer to the common of each stat and the n/c of the stat to its respective valve motor.

Whether this is right for a particular clients needs or not is down to you to establish through discussion of the possible options.

The same applies for situations where you have more than one hot water cylinder, on programmer channel and a stat and valve for each cylinder

How about 2x programmable room stats and no programmer?

A lot of clients don't like programmable roomstats as no one has yet manufactured one which is easy to use.
And they struggle to understand that they don't actually switch on and off they just vary the temperature setting at each time.

A lot of clients don't like programmable roomstats as no one has yet manufactured one which is easy to use.
And they struggle to understand that they don't actually switch on and off they just vary the temperature setting at each time.

I agree they can be a bit tricky to get your head around but I'm not sure what you mean by they don't actually switch off etc.

If my roomstat was set at 20 deg. C through the day and I wanted the heating to go off at 10:00 pm I would set it to drop to 0 deg @ 10:00pm. and remembering that the stat is controls a zone valve and it's the micro switch on the zone valve that controls the boiler then to all intents & purposes the heating would be off @ 10:00pm. Ok .. it's not really "OFF" - it's at 0 degrees which to all intents and purpose is "off" and has the added bonus of offering a bit of frost protection.

I could then have it come back on @ 21 deg between 7:00am until 8:30 (breakfast time) and then drop to 16 deg for the rest of the day while I'm out at work, then come back on at 21 deg at 4:30 in time for me coming home at tea time.

This is exactly what I used in my previous house and it worked very well for me.

I agree they can be a bit tricky to get your head around but I'm not sure what you mean by they don't actually switch off etc.

If my roomstat was set at 20 deg. C through the day and I wanted the heating to go off at 10:00 pm I would set it to drop to 0 deg @ 10:00pm. and remembering that the stat is controls a zone valve and it's the micro switch on the zone valve that controls the boiler then to all intents & purposes the heating would be off @ 10:00pm. Ok .. it's not really "OFF" - it's at 0 degrees which to all intents and purpose is "off" and has the added bonus of offering a bit of frost protection.

I could then have it come back on @ 21 deg between 7:00am until 8:30 (breakfast time) and then drop to 16 deg for the rest of the day while I'm out at work, then come back on at 21 deg at 4:30 in time for me coming home at tea time.

This is exactly what I used in my previous house and it worked very well for me.

Yes if you can get it to go down that low then it will be suitably off, but there are some around now which won't let you set below 14ish degrees.

I understand how they work etc but also would be perfectly happy with a mechanical stat in my own house.
I like things to be as simple as possible with as little to go wrong as possible for important things like heating.

"Hello Geordie Spark",

I also have a Programmable Room Thermostat [Horstmann DRT2 ] controlling the temperature of my Home`s Heating system and as You described I have it set with a specific temperature for ALL of the Time periods / `programs` that the thermostat provides [8 timed temperature settings]

As I bought the Programmable Room Thermostat a few Years ago it is a `Basic` 8 Timed / Temperature settings model - without a Backlight facility - [regrettably in hindsight a 2 Wire installation].

I also have a Honeywell ST 9600 Programmer and a Cylinder Thermostat.

Because other members of the Family like the House `Nice and Warm` I have the Programmable Room Thermostat set at 23 degrees from 06:00 to 10:00 - then 20 degrees from 10:00 to 16:00 - 23 degrees from 16:00 to 00:00 and 19 degrees from 00:00 to 06:00 Monday to Friday - IF someone is at Home all Day.

Because there are only 8 settings on the Programmable Room Thermostat Saturdays and Sundays are set at 22 degrees from 06:00 to 00:00 and 19 degrees from 00:00 to 06:00.

There are temperature adjustment buttons on the Room Thermostat and We adjust the temperature setting for the current Timed / Temperature period if required.

As You mentioned a Programmable Room Thermostat could be set for a particular Timed period at a low temperature which would effectively mean that the Heating system was `Off` - BUT with the advantage of `Frost Protection` should the temperature inside the Home drop drastically.

If a person was away from Home overnight It would be unusual for the temperature inside most Suburban / Urban Homes to drop below about 6 to 8 degrees in a 24 Hour period [still Cold] unless there was Snow and Ice / Freezing temperatures or prevailing Cold Winds.

However Members / Readers please don`t base your decisions about setting your Home`s Heating Thermostat on that comment as many things can affect a Building`s Temperature / Temperature Drop.

BUT I would not want to let my Home`s temperature get down to even that low.

I personally would not set my Programmable Room Thermostat any lower than 14 degrees - the Home would still be `Cold` for most people at that setting.

For `Home Temperature Comfort` for different time periods at a reasonable cost installing a Programmable Room Thermostat is a very good addition to most Home`s Heating systems.

"Happy Christmas to You and your Family" - and a `"Great New Year".

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
"Hello Geordie Spark",

I also have a Programmable Room Thermostat [Horstmann DRT2 ] controlling the temperature of my Home`s Heating system and as You described I have it set with a specific temperature for ALL of the Time periods / `programs` that the thermostat provides [8 timed temperature settings]

As I bought the Programmable Room Thermostat a few Years ago it is a `Basic` 8 Timed / Temperature settings model - without a Backlight facility - [regrettably in hindsight a 2 Wire installation].

I also have a Honeywell ST 9600 Programmer and a Cylinder Thermostat.

Because other members of the Family like the House `Nice and Warm` I have the Programmable Room Thermostat set at 23 degrees from 06:00 to 10:00 - then 20 degrees from 10:00 to 16:00 - 23 degrees from 16:00 to 00:00 and 19 degrees from 00:00 to 06:00 Monday to Friday - [IF someone is at Home all Day].

Because there are only 8 settings on the Programmable Room Thermostat Saturdays and Sundays are set at 22 degrees from 06:00 to 00:00 and 19 degrees from 00:00 to 06:00.

There are temperature adjustment buttons on the Room Thermostat and We adjust the temperature setting for the current Timed / Temperature period if required.

As You mentioned a Programmable Room Thermostat could be set for a particular Timed period at a low temperature which would effectively mean that the Heating system was `Off` - BUT with the advantage of `Frost Protection` should the temperature inside the Home drop drastically.

If a person was away from Home overnight It would be unusual for the temperature inside most Suburban / Urban Homes to drop below about 6 to 8 degrees in a 24 Hour period [still Cold] unless there was Snow and Ice / Freezing temperatures or prevailing Cold Winds.

However Members / Readers please don`t base your decisions about setting your Home`s Heating Thermostat on that comment as many things can affect a Buildings Temperature / Temperature Drop.

BUT I would not want to let my Home`s temperature get down to even that low.

I personally would not set my Programmable Room Thermostat any lower than 14 degrees - the Home would still be `Cold` at that setting.

For `Home Temperature Comfort` for different time periods at a reasonable cost installing a Programmable Room Thermostat is a very good addition to most Home`s Heating systems.

"Happy Christmas to You and your Family" - and a `"Great New Year".

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris! :)

All the Best to you & yours too!

Re: "I personally would not set my Programmable Room Thermostat any lower than 14 degrees - the Home would still be `Cold` at that setting." ...... My "off position" was 16 deg. C. - just taking the chill off and allowing the room to warm up a bit quicker.

It's all horses for courses of course and one mans soup is another mans broth etc. ;)

Hi Chris! :)

All the Best to you & yours too!

Re: "I personally would not set my Programmable Room Thermostat any lower than 14 degrees - the Home would still be `Cold` at that setting." ...... My "off position" was 16 deg. C. - just taking the chill off and allowing the room to warm up a bit quicker.

It's all horses for courses of course and one mans soup is another mans broth etc. ;)

"Hello again Geordie Spark",

I did not make my comment clear - I was not comparing my `I would not set my Programmable Room Thermostat any lower than 14 degrees` to your Daytime setting of 16 degrees.

Your Daytime 16 degrees setting is obviously ideal for your Home and as You mentioned if it got down to that temperature [later in the Winter ?] the Boiler would fire up and prevent your Home from getting really Cold and taking longer to Heat Up in the afternoon.

I meant that if I was going away from my Home in Winter / Cold Weather for a Day or two [or longer] I would set the Programmable Room Thermostat at about 14 degrees for some of the time periods [Nights] - not any lower so that the House did not get really Cold.

In that example of being away in Winter I would have some of the Daytime periods set at about 20 degrees to try and keep the House `Warm`.

As as We know if one is away for just a couple of Days we can re-program our Programmable Room Thermostats to set quite a `High Temperature` for time periods on the Day that we return Home in order to heat up the Home to our desired temperature.

In my case with a 5 / 2 Day Programmable Room Thermostat I might have to alter the `present Day` setting to allow Me to use a Saturday or Sunday setting to set a Higher Temperature for the Day of my return - but these alterations only take Minutes.

My Honeywell ST 9600 Programmer also has a `Holiday Setting` Facility where I can stop the Programs from turning On / Off the Heating & Hot Water System for a set number of Days and set it to restart the programs on a particular Day to heat up the House and Hot Water for when I return from Holiday.

This is handy IF I ever decide to take a Holiday in late October for example [although doubtful] - my Home would be Warm and have Hot Water when We returned.

Sorry that I did not make myself clear previously about the `14 degrees` comment.

Regards,

Chris

Reply to Zone heating in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net