Discuss 12V voltage drop dual battery camper installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yek88998

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there

I can't wrap my head around a problem I have when trying to connect my dual 12v battery system in a camper. When I plugged in my VSR ( Orion from the brand Victron) i measured the + input was 3 volts although engine running (and app saying 14v input...). I thought the wire were too long so i pulled the red wire in between batteries out of the path i have led it into to check the wore was not damzged. Wire was ok so I mesured the current straight at the end while the other end was on battery and it read the same. So i put the wire back in, from the hood down the Stirling wheel up the driver side all the way then back down a wall behind drivers. And surprise when i tried to connect again to front battery it went back to reading 3 volts instead of the 12.8 v of the battery when engine is off! I even tried with a different cable and it does the same, current is the same until i put the wire "in place". I don't understand how the direction/ path of wire can cause that, it is beyond my understanding so I am seeking your help !

The thing is I did this same installation on the exact the same car and had no problem in the past.

Any feedback is welcomed as I am losing it haha.

Thanks,

Yasmine

What wire are you talking about... the feed from the vehicle battery to the VSR?
How long is the wire and what size (mm²) is it?
Where is the VSR located? Have you checked its ground connection?
Where is the service battery located and what size is it?

What wire are you talking about... the feed from the vehicle battery to the VSR?
How long is the wire and what size (mm²) is it?
Where is the VSR located? Have you checked its ground connection?
Where is the service battery located and what size is it?
Hi Lucien. I have found the problem
My house battery was not grounded that is why. Didnt know the aucilliary battery needed to be grounded !
Thanks for the help :)

Reply to 12V voltage drop dual battery camper installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net