Search the forum,

Discuss 150m Cable run outside to spur? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm just a trainee so don't listen to me, I guess the following is more aimed at the experienced and qualified folks:

If the largest voltage drop I can find in appendix 4 of the OSG is 44mV/A/m (1mm^2), then the largest voltage drop is going to be 6.6V/A over 150m. Assuming these 3 transformers are not wildly inefficient, they're going to be drawing less than an amp at 230V... so even if they're not switch mode PSUs they're probably still going to be ok.

So (aside from environmental protection and other stuff I've not thought of and have yet to learn about), what's up with doing a rough calculation as above and saying, "the smallest SWA you can get"?

Rough calculation can be taken as gospel if advised on a forum you go to help from.. we don't do rough as it can in certain cases risk life... we are advising people with no electrical background sometimes and if we suggest it may need a competent person to look at the set-up its usually because we cannot attain the correct info or we believe the Poster is at risk themselves tying to do something with limited knowledge.

But what about the spark who you was getting to do the job? Wont he be able to tell you tomorrow?

Rough calculation can be taken as gospel if advised on a forum you go to help from.. we don't do rough as it can in certain cases risk life... we are advising people with no electrical background sometimes and if we suggest it may need a competent person to look at the set-up its usually because we cannot attain the correct info or we believe the Poster is at risk themselves tying to do something with limited knowledge.

Point taken.

We have been trying to help, you choose to ignore us as we wont commit until we have ALL the relevant information.

Sorry if you choose to ignore this but really, you are putting alot at risk by asking for a rough guess.

Dilib and DW were trying to help you, only you don't know enough about what it is you were asking.

Voltage 12VDC
Current (Max) 1.5A
Current (Min) 0A
Load Regulation +/-3.75%
Over Voltage Protection 15VDC
Over Current Protection 3.2A Max
Short CircuitPotection Yes
Ripple Voltage (L.F) 100mV p-p
O/P Connector N/A
S
a
f
e
t
y
Hi Pot Test I/P-O/P 3KVAC
Insulation I/P-O/P 7Mohm Min
Temperature
Operating 0 to 40’C
Storage -20 to 70’C
H
u
m
i
d
i
t
y
Operating 35% to 85% Non Condensing
Storage 5% to 95% Non Condensing
I
n
p
u
t
Voltage 90 to 264VAC
Frequency 47 to 63Hz
Current RMS (Max) 680mA Max
Inrush Current 60A Max
Leakage Current 0.25mA
Efficiency (Min) 70% Min
I/P PLUG TYPE (2Mtr Mains Lead) N/A
MTBF 50K Hours
Designed In Accordance With:
Safety Standard IEC 60950-1
EMC Standard EN 55013 EN 6100-3-2 EN 61000-3-3 EN 6100-6-1

Happysteve its more the fact that you was trying to help
So were the others. They were asking for more information, in the main. Without knowing more details, they can't advise properly.

(And so to bed.)

Last edited:
We can all see where the assumptions are coming from.

Voltage 12VDC
Current (Max) 1.5A
Current (Min) 0A
Load Regulation +/-3.75%
O/P Connector N/A
S
a
f
e
t
y
Temperature
Operating 0 to 40’C
Storage -20 to 70’C
H
u
m
i
d
i
t
y
I
n
p
u
t
Voltage 90 to 264VAC
Frequency 47 to 63Hz
Inrush Current 60A Max
Leakage Current 0.25mA
Efficiency (Min) 70% Min
MTBF 50K Hours

Answers nothing

Voltage 12VDC
Current (Max) 1.5A
Current (Min) 0A
Load Regulation +/-3.75%
O/P Connector N/A
S
a
f
e
t
y
Temperature
Operating 0 to 40’C
Storage -20 to 70’C
H
u
m
i
d
i
t
y
I
n
p
u
t
Voltage 90 to 264VAC
Frequency 47 to 63Hz
Inrush Current 60A Max
Leakage Current 0.25mA
Efficiency (Min) 70% Min
MTBF 50K Hours

Now thats overkill :) ... you still haven't told us what the load is>??? Lighting?

PS my bedtime !

Blown away with how helpful this forum has been tonight.

Its this simple, 2 people supplied quotes with 2 different cable sizes on.

I wanted some helpful suggestions on what size is suitable, I have gievn you all the relevant info.

Yet we still dont know type of cable you are installing, so i would say you haven't provided all the relevant information yet.

Blown away with how helpful this forum has been tonight.

Its this simple, 2 people supplied quotes with 2 different cable sizes on.

I wanted some helpful suggestions on what size is suitable, I have gievn you all the relevant info.

Well what are the 2 sizes of cable that have been quoted for ?

if you list these we can give advice as to which size would be suitable

On a further note ... if you have 2 quotes with requested cable size differences ask the companies with the largest cable why it need to be that size and not the size of the other quotes .... if they give you a calculation throw it on here and we can confirm it this.. but youll be surprised how many legit companies think running standard twin and earth outside is ok i would be doing this in SWA so look to this on the quote although your determination to seek the answer and from previous threads you have started are you sure your not doing this yourself??? You must have loads of contacts by now to give you assistance.... just saying ;)

On a further note ... if you have 2 quotes with requested cable size differences ask the companies with the largest cable why it need to be that size and not the size of the other quotes .... if they give you a calculation throw it on here and we can confirm it this.. but youll be surprised how many legit companies think running standard twin and earth outside is ok i would be doing this in SWA so look to this on the quote although your determination to seek the answer and from previous threads you have started are you sure your not doing this yourself??? You must have loads of contacts by now to give you assistance.... just saying ;)

I never said I was doing this myself, you are assuming it.

I have been asked by my customer (whom I am installing a cctv system with poles remote in a yard, hence the external power source) if I can take care of the electrical side, so i am getting quotes to do this.

I have been given 2 cable sizes over that distance, I wanted advice off other sparks on that distance, if its not possible fair enough.

So all the power supplies are different distance from the source?

I have rang a couple of elec friends which have said 6mm? So thats why im here at 1.40am, shouldnt of bothered

- - - Updated - - -

So all the power supplies are different distance from the source?

No one location

I never said I was doing this myself, you are assuming it.

I have been asked by my customer (whom I am installing a cctv system with poles remote in a yard, hence the external power source) if I can take care of the electrical side, so i am getting quotes to do this.

I have been given 2 cable sizes over that distance, I wanted advice off other sparks on that distance, if its not possible fair enough.

Hindsight for you had you supplied all this info the responses would have been kinder .... and my post was just in jest hence the winking emoticon no offense meant...

On an helpful note id ask all the quoting companies to provide the calculations for the cable size as you have been given several different sizes ... trust me those who know their stuff will happily provide the calcs to confirm why it is said size.

Hindsight for you had you supplied all this info the responses would have been kinder .... and my post was just in jest hence the winking emoticon no offense meant...

Why would they of been kinder? all this info has been stated numerous times.

On an helpful note id ask all the quoting companies to provide the calculations for the cable size as you have been given several different sizes ... trust me those who know their stuff will happily provide the calcs to confirm why it is said size.

Thats what I will do as still no closer to what cable to use..................

I tend not to deal with the elec side for this reason, clear as mud.

The OP told us everything else about the load except the one thing i kept asking .... what exactly the load was... well until post 73 that is... will their also be

Trace heating?
Lighting?......etc etc so we knew what VD allowance to apply.

To note the PSU which the OP has stated are not suitable for the job - they state 0-40 degrees operating temp' (does this refer to ambient temp or unit temp) unless he's installing these on the equator i would assume it gets colder than that around here... hence i query trace heating and that then rockets the load up...

I would be contacting PSU manufacturers and ensuring the units are correct fit for purpose as i assume this is either ambiguous or an oversight by the CCTV suppliers.

If their response is vgue and they say they haven't had any issues yet then i would be concerned about the supplier.

Last edited:
3 x 50m extension leads, daisy chained.

Reply to 150m Cable run outside to spur? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net