Discuss 16mm Earth main protective conductor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sav

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question I hope I can get some advise on.

Saw a 1 bedroom purpose built 1st floor flat last night that is in need of a rewire.

The consumer unit is the old rewire-able type with 16mm T&E on supply side.
Although its red and black on the 16mm, it does look newish (10 years may be), but obvious tests will need to be carried out.

In the basement, which the customer does not have access too ( my FP2 key does not fit either, as it has some kind of security lock), I would have presumed there must be an isolator to this flat, as well as the other 5 flats on this block.
Again, this would need examining when the time comes.

I mentioned to the builder who is going to be carrying out building works, that we must check and upgrade the earthing accordingly, and also bring a 16mm earth to the consumer unit.
His guy, who also does electrics, said that the 16mm T&E along with its 6mm earth is more than adequate.

I have always bought in 16mm earth to the consumer unit, as thats what we were told to do on sites etc.

Am I missing something???

Thanks and regards,
Sav

If his guy is putting his name on the cert let him get on with it.

I would be looking at the earthing arrangement the lenth of run re isolation, is it in need of RCD protection from the basement etc.

IMO More info is required and access to the mains is necessary before you can go any further!

you would expect a switchfuse to be feeding it .access to mains is very important .not only for you ,but everyone else .i went to job a few years back in a similar situation regarding 6mm earth .they had also run a 10mm earth as a parallel earth path .

This sounds like the dreaded adiabatic equation in the regs and my head is hurting already. Seem to remember something along the lines of a BS1361 100 AMP needs a 10MM earth cable i think. Hope this helps.

firstly get access to the incoming main, check and test ZE etc
megger the 16mm supply cable to the said 1 bed flat if ok, fit 60A KMF at incomer to supply 16mm t&e upgrade equipotential bonds, Now carry on with your rewire. :smilewinkgrin:

Its my understanding that you are regulated by table 54.8 when PME conditions apply re the main earth as it will have to be the same or bigger than the bonding conductors.

In this case the op states it is a 6mm earth and if it is PME then the minimum is 10mm if the neutral is 35 mm or less !

Its my understanding that you are regulated by table 54.8 when PME conditions apply re the main earth as it will have to be the same or bigger than the bonding conductors.

In this case the op states it is a 6mm earth and if it is PME then the minimum is 10mm if the neutral is 35 mm or less !

I maybe misunderstood your post, in that you were were saying the adiabatic is not relevant for a sub-main supply because pme was used, but I see where you are coming from now! ie wanting to provide bonding in the apartment itself!

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your replies,

Just one thing which I may have not put down properly, is that the 16mm T&E is all thats coming into the consumer unit.
The 6mm is actually part of the T&E.

So its red & black 16mm and 6mm earth in pvc.
There is no additional earth run in parallel, thats why I said run a 16mm from MET (once I can get access to switch room), to consumer unit.

Thanks again and sorry for my stupid writing !!!

Sav

Hi everyone,

Saw a 1 bedroom purpose built 1st floor flat last night that is in need of a rewire.

His guy, who also does electrics, said that the 16mm T&E along with its 6mm earth is more than adequate.

Thanks and regards,
Sav

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Whatever you say will probably be wrong in his eyes.

Your builder is right , as a sub-mains to the flat , the earth in the T&E cable is fine.
The only earth that needs to be 16mm is the conductor from the MET to the switchgear at the supply position.

Last edited by a moderator:
I maybe misunderstood your post, in that you were were saying the adiabatic is not relevant for a sub-main supply because pme was used, but I see where you are coming from now! ie wanting to provide bonding in the apartment itself!

The apartment wont need a protective bonding conductor unless the water or gas mains enters the building in this flat.

Your builder is right , as a sub-mains to the flat , the earth in the T&E cable is fine.
The only earth that needs to be 16mm is the conductor from the MET to the switchgear at the supply position.
Thanks Biff and sorry again if I didnt explain myself properly.
So just to confirm, 16mm from MET to isolator (which I presume there is one).
Thanks again and have a great weekend,
Sav

Post isn't about bonding but each flat should have its own bonding to where the supply enters the flat.

But he doesnt need to run a separate 16mm earth to each flat to do that , which is what Sav was suggesting.

But he doesnt need to run a separate 16mm earth to each flat to do that , which is what Sav was suggesting.
I didn't say he did.

You said

"The apartment wont need a protective bonding conductor unless the water or gas mains enters the building in this flat."

which is wrong.

no im not lol.
what your suggesting is supplementary bondng , the protective bonding to the gas and water mains has to be connected back to the MET , which wont be in the flat.

Reply to 16mm Earth main protective conductor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net