Discuss 17th edition just failed course i need help in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

nice for honest feedback.im no electrician and dont expect to know anything. my experience will come over the years. i just want to do solar but need to qualify to be able to do it as for pat testing no interest whatsoever.cheers
the thing is here n all jaysley is that what you will be effectively doing is training whilst on the job in other peoples houses which in my eyes aint really on mate.....the best thing you could have done is got yourself to college and done it that way as the facilities are there and the lecturers n all who can give you proper instruction under supervised, controlled conditions......thats how it should be...these short courses are all very well.....as add ons/extentions to the foundations that you build whilst attending college.......its 3 years you know at college before you finish.......theres no "easy quick fix" to gain entry into the world of sparkying.....regardles of what these "part p course" peddlers would have you believe.....it aint about just pulling cable/s in and terminating.....its about much more than that mate......do yourself a big favour mate and spend that cash by going to college....just a bit of impartial advice mate...take it or leave it.......

I agree with that Glennspark, i am all for people trying to better themselves, but these short, microwave boil in the bag courses i like to call them, arent the best. I did my qualifications in the late 80's, got out the trade for a while, then decided to get back in it again, but stayed away from these short courses, and did the whole lot again over the last few years in the evenings, 2330 level 2 and 3, 2382, and just done the 2391 awaiting the results i might add. You cant rush these things. Besides it got me out the house and away from the kids, 2 nights a week for the last few years.;

silly question but im new to forums still trying to work it out how can i send my email without all seeing 99% of people are genuine but you always get an idiot trying to ruin things i would love for you to email me some info just tell me how.cheers

Click on my name on the left and you'll get the option to PM me, then only I will see it!

I’m sorry,
im no electrician and dont expect to know anything. my experience will come over the years.
At who’s expense? The electrical trade isn’t something you can go bumbling through in the hope you’ve got it right. It has to be right from the outset, there’s no second chance.
I’m sorry, take up plumbing, the leaks will put the fires out!

What do you know about disconnection times for instance jaysley....and how to apply correction factors for ambiant tempreture to the tables in the brb/bgb (46-54)?....Cable runs in prescribed (safe) zones?....RCD times? and you wont learn how to verify, inspect and test in a week mate.......and this is the basics...caus theres fault-finding n all matey......these part p providers only requirement to join one of their "schemes" is to hold the 17th edition....which to me is wholly inadequate......

Last edited:
no ones trying to dampen your spirits jaysley....anything but!!....I`m all for people trying to improve their lot by doing something constructive rather than taking the easy way out all the time or dulling their minds with mundane, thankless jobs....its just that i think you might be going about it the wrong way mate.....caus this "course" provider that you are on simply wont care if you make it or not........but i can assure you now that a bonafide college certainly would........

im hooked on them;)
I agree with that Glennspark, i am all for people trying to better themselves, but these short, microwave boil in the bag courses i like to call them, arent the best. I did my qualifications in the late 80's, got out the trade for a while, then decided to get back in it again, but stayed away from these short courses, and did the whole lot again over the last few years in the evenings, 2330 level 2 and 3, 2382, and just done the 2391 awaiting the results i might add. You cant rush these things. Besides it got me out the house and away from the kids, 2 nights a week for the last few years.;

and how did you start? read the posts im no electrician and after the course i will not be an electrician but like you. you had to start somewhere or was you just perfect ive worked all my life never been on the dole so yes ive paid my way and what is wrong with trying something different if i wanted to do plumbing i would have taken that course oh and the gas course ive come hear for help not for people to start slating someone who wants to do something different so thanks for your help its been great!!!

and how did you start? read the posts im no electrician and after the course i will not be an electrician but like you. you had to start somewhere or was you just perfect ive worked all my life never been on the dole so yes ive paid my way and what is wrong with trying something different if i wanted to do plumbing i would have taken that course oh and the gas course ive come hear for help not for people to start slating someone who wants to do something different so thanks for your help its been great!!!
???????????!!!.......no YOU read the posts mate....then you will realise that we are actually trying to give you encouragement.....just advising what may be a better path for you to take into the industry...thats all.........

How did I start? An apprenticeship along with 5 years of collage. Followed by 35+ years of experience in heavy engineering. I don’t do domestic work.

No I’m not perfect and over the years I’ve made some spectacular mistakes. But when you go in to development work it’s part of the turf you get used to.

Safety is my prime concern now and fast track electricians make me despair. They can sit and quote regulations forever, but putting them in practice is a different matter. Practicality and regulations don’t always go together. To interpret regulations requires skill and experience.

Maths and physics are amongst others of my interests. I’ve had fun with some of the questions the lads on this board have come up with, and some head scratching. I’ll help in any way I can, but as the other lads will tell you I can be down right blunt with comments.

"Maths and physics are amongst others of my interests"

.............beating the ladies off with a stick! :smile:

Seriously though I often have the 17th, OSG etc by the side of the bed!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 17th edition just failed course i need help in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net