Discuss 2.5mm Radial Doing All the Sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Of course it would be easiest to call the 'runaway sparky' and ask him what he's done, but I personally don't like the idea of the customer thinking I couldn't sort it out myself, even less the idea that I would benefit from the words of someone who has run away from the job, possibly because he realised he was in over his head.

There are unusual problems which take a bit more time to sort out in every walk of life and the customer should appreciate that, and also appreciate you're picking up the pieces of the mess of someone they shouldn't have hired in the first place.

Either that or I've misinterpreted what you meant Paul and by having a chat with him you meant "having a chat" with him - being a southern softie that's not a business practice I'm familiar with. :wink_smile:

spent 2 days fault finding on some idiots install this week, bloke had screwed his own cables 3 times and failed put in a lighting feed. Its so much harder picking up after someone else, good luck!

Either that or I've misinterpreted what you meant Paul and by having a chat with him you meant "having a chat" with him - being a southern softie that's not a business practice I'm familiar with. :wink_smile:

On the domestic front (and some commercial) where the customer has been ripped off by "their electrician". That's when I'm in fight back mode". I get their phone number, call them and ask them to come down to their own install & explain WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!!!

A few have "maned up" and come to site, most just run away.

Your customer and their required/requested end result is our target. Cowboys and Rouges need shooting down at any opportunity! It's just personal entertainment to me. I have no problem pulling other peoples rubbish works.

All for a completion cert and Part P, is it?
To 'sign off' another person's work isn't correct.....called to one fault and also finding another more serious one. EICR required then, and a chat with building control. Could be a bit of a mess judging by initial problems.

Sorry for the late update, just back from long weekend.

Update on the Job...

Went to the job on Friday morning, after opening up and belling out half a dozen sockets we found where the previous spark had tapped in to the RFC, as there was two sockets that had 4 cables, two had been crimped through in the back of both sockets.

All he had done was connect up the wrong ends after breaking into the RFC, luckily we found this and sorted it in under two hours.

Very happy that we found it quickly and there wasn't any live ends underfloors or in walls.

Quick question regarding certificates...

As the client and builder require a certificate for building control, can I issue a "Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate" to the builder and leave the design part blank for other spark to sign?

I've never really had to test someone else's new install before and I'm unsure how best to proceed with this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Update on the Job...

Went to the job on Friday morning, after opening up and belling out half a dozen sockets we found where the previous spark had tapped in to the RFC, as there was two sockets that had 4 cables, two had been crimped through in the back of both sockets.

All he had done was connect up the wrong ends after breaking into the RFC, luckily we found this and sorted it in under two hours.

Very happy that we found it quickly and there wasn't any live ends underfloors or in walls.

As the client and builder require a certificate for building control, can I issue a "Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate" to the builder and leave the design part blank for other spark to sign?

I've never really had to test someone else's new install before and I'm unsure how best to proceed with this.

No because you will be taking responsibility for the construction and test&inspection of the installation. So unless you can inspect the 1st fix in its whole entirety then you can't possibly tick the required boxes on the installation cert. How do you know cables are in zones and so on.

Update on the Job...

I would issue them with an EICR and my invoice pronto.

Whether LABC accept it is another question - one that should have been asked before you started IMHO.

Reply to 2.5mm Radial Doing All the Sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net