Discuss 2 Gang Light Switch Dual Control in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

lifesigns

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've searched a number of threads and can't seem to locate one that works for my situation.

There are two lights controlled by two, two-gang switches. One switch is at the top of the stairs and the other at the top, so are the lights in question.

They've not worked correctly when I moved in and I've looked at the wiring going into them.

These are the wires:

Main Feed: Red, Black and Yellow
Bottom Light: Red, Blue and Yellow
Top Light: Red, Blue and Yellow

Currently connected, see pic:

Feed yellow to backbox
Two light yellows to earth terminal
Feed red and bottom light Red are in the right switch common terminal
Feed black and bottom light blue are in the right switch L1 terminal
Top light blue is in the left switch L1 terminal
Top light red is in left switch common terminal

My understanding of switches are that you usually only switch live so I'm not sure about neutral being in there too?

Appreciate any input from anyone.Light Switch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a high possibility those yellow conductors connected to the earth terminal of the face plates are lives (I can see the earths behind). These are common colours for two way switching red, yellow and blue. The black is not neutral but a switched live. I have serious concerns the front plate is now live because those yellows should be part of the two way switching which probably explains why it doesn't function. I would strongly recommend you seek professional help.

How long have you lived with that switch like that??....

Jeez that's not good. Switch the lighting circuit off at the consumer unit!

Jeez that's not good. Switch the lighting circuit off at the consumer unit!

Hi All,

I've searched a number of threads and can't seem to locate one that works for my situation.

There are two lights controlled by two, two-gang switches. One switch is at the top of the stairs and the other at the top, so are the lights in question.

They've not worked correctly when I moved in and I've looked at the wiring going into them.

These are the wires:

Main Feed: Red, Black and Yellow
Bottom Light: Red, Blue and Yellow
Top Light: Red, Blue and Yellow

Currently connected, see pic:

Feed yellow to backbox
Two light yellows to earth terminal
Feed red and bottom light Red are in the right switch common terminal
Feed black and bottom light blue are in the right switch L1 terminal
Top light blue is in the left switch L1 terminal
Top light red is in left switch common terminal

My understanding of switches are that you usually only switch live so I'm not sure about neutral being in there too?

Appreciate any input from anyone.View attachment 56349

I've tried getting someone to come and look at it for me but they all companies about are closed due to Corona Virus.

So I've a look and yes clearly the yellow switched live should not be in earth I get that.

Mentioned before it's and old property hence the red & black wiring - I studied engineering so know I can fix it I'm just not familiar with this arrangement.

As I explained before there are two exact same 2-gang switches that are controlling the landing and stairs lights.

Both have a a feed with Red, Black and Earth

Then there are two extra sets for each light with Red, Blue and Yellow

If I make Common Black on one side and L2 and L1 Blue and Yellow with all the Red wires in a strip connector then one of the lights turns on and off. Not the other?

In all my work previously a 2 Gang switch would only have a feed on one side not both.

I'd appreciate any input.

The red, black and earth are not feeds as such they are both switch lines/lives.

Reply to 2 Gang Light Switch Dual Control in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net