Discuss 2377 in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sjj84

Been thinking about doing the PAT course City & Guilds 2377, but have heard mention that it might well be replaced sometime this year. Does anybody have any more information on this? Specifically a date? Don't want to go to the expensive of doing the current course if it's going to change and be out of date.
Cheers

Too late me thinks I did it at the end of last year and we were told that by January 2012 there would be a 2377/1 and a 2377/2 and maybe a 2377/3 later I think the 1 is for the tester the 2 is for the manager and 3 is for the planner anyway 2 or 3 parts its just another way to say you are not qualified and you need to pay us lots of money to keep us in a job and even if you do get the the qualification we are going to change it anyway to keep us in a job.

PS if you go for it get a C&G qualification as in Scotland you can get a Select qualification for the same money the C&G takes 6 weeks at night school and the Select is a half day and a bacon roll

There is already two -one for management and one for testing. The 2377 is being updated and the new version will have a practical assignment to complete as part of the exam

Thanks for the info. All the training centres I've found locally still list the 1 day 2377 course on their websites, I'll have to give them a call and see if they are doing the latest courses.

the original course is still available and will be until the summer so if it is a one day course it may not be the new one, but it should not make any difference which you take it is still 2377

If you can Contact your local technical college I did and found they did a 6 week nightcourse now you may think thats a bit long but I must admit I absorbed more info on PAT testing instead of a wham bham 1 or half day course Plus the course was the same price

When I did it it was 2 full days including a practical assessment (pick a tester, pick an appliance, test the appliance with the tester) plus a multiple guess test where you get to use the book with all the answers in it.
If they change the course I can't imagine I'll do the new one.

If you can Contact your local technical college I did and found they did a 6 week nightcourse now you may think thats a bit long but I must admit I absorbed more info on PAT testing instead of a wham bham 1 or half day course Plus the course was the same price

I think I'd absorb more doing it that way too, however I work a rubbish shift pattern of days and nights so wouldn't be able to do 6 weeks of the same evening each week. One or two day course is the only realistic way I can do it unfortunately.

I deliver the 2377. It changed in January this year, but it was only a change in its title number from 2377-?? and ?? to 22 and 32. So the qualifications remain the same. The online exam is now 50 question multiguess, and 1 hour 40 minutes long. the course content hasn't changed, there is a practical assessment, but there always was, so no change there. The practical consists of a Combined Inspection and test of a piece of class 1 and class 2 equipment, interpretation of the table to state when its next test will be due, completion of all relevant documents, and completing a pass and fail sticker. All this takes about 20 minutes. The practical assessment is retained by the training provider incase city and guilds decide to want a look when they carry out their external verification of the training provider.

There maybe a change on the horizon for the Code of Practice book which is used for the course, as this still has 16th edition terminology in it, but until then the course has not changed. When it does the only difference will be the relevant changes in terminology to bring into line with BS7671:2008 (2011) 1st amendment.

Cheers...........Howard

So we have had a new BGB a new onsite guide they are changing the I&T C&G plus a new GN3 then we are getting a new 2377 split into 2 but we still use the term PAT testing yet we are meant to use ISI&TEE only to find the code of practise need updated buy wait theres more the new EICR came into force but 2 months ago but nobody knows why you cannot get hold of and pad certificates .

Now remember everybody we are in one of the worst recessions in history and all I want to know is who are the clowns who organised this as I see it change for the sake of change funny thing is if I ran my business like this I would be bankrupt

Reply to 2377 in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net