Discuss 3.68 kW or 4.0 Kw - does SP Networks (Scottish Power) allow 4.0Kw installations? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rgf1

Just started in North Wales. I am confused between the 16a 3.68 kW requirement (eg SSE Scottish and Southern Energy) in their area without surveys etc. and the 4 kW maximum allowed for the FIT and the fact that at 4 kw the installation falls outside the limits of G83 requirements. The question is:

Can I install a 4Kw system in North Wales?
Does this still get the FIT at exactly 4 kW
Can I use the G 83 requirements.
If not, what does this actually mean in practice

Thanks

rgf1

The 4kw is band set by the government (DECC) at which the FiT rate drops, it is unrelated to DNO rules - which are concerned with output (i.e 16 amps threshold) from the inverter onto the local grid, rather than the capacity of the PV array.

Yes - if you get DNO prior approval OR
Yes - if the G83 approved inverter limits output to below 16amps

Yes - at the highest rate. There's still FiT above 4kw, it's just a lower rate.

That seems to partly depend on DNO policy

A G59 submission - i.e a (more paper work) request for permission to connect prior to install, and a wait for the DNO to respond with a yes (with requests to make some inverter changes probably/ or yes with costs if local network needs upgrading) or no.

That's my understanding

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I would use an inverter that limits at the right value, then any bigger an array above that (within obvious limits) is a slight increase in yield in non-optimum conditions. Just make sure you do the sums correctly!

I was coming to the conclusion that a 3.68 Kw inverter with a larger array would be a good solution to the problem. Does anyone have any views on what would be the optimum size (i.e. kW) of solar array I should install - the particular job in nearly south facing - within 10 degrees of South and the roof is at 10.5 degrees pitch -meaning, as I understand it - that the maximum output of any array would be 95% of the rated output of the panels. So I was thinking (97% inverter efficiency and 95% panel output would need a array rated at 93% of 4 Kw i.e 4.3 kW.
Also the installation is near to the coast and in stormy weather some salt is carried in the air - so the installation would be designed so that the panels could be washed down after a storm. The weather in this part of the UK is often quite overcast and I am favouring Phono Solar panels which seem to be rated highly both in sun and cloudy conditions - any comments. The Schuco panels seem to come out best in cloudy conditions - any comments about these panels. Any recommendations on other suitable (better!) panels would be gratefully received. Thanks rgf1

Scottish Power have relaxed their stance on 4kW systems and as long as the inverter has a G83 compliance cert then you are good to go. ALWAYS the best bet is to pick up the phone and give them a call. Yes they are extremely busy people, but I have always had a helpful person on the phone/e-mail.

I was coming to the conclusion that a 3.68 Kw inverter with a larger array would be a good solution to the problem. ..........(97% inverter efficiency and 95% panel output would need a array rated at 93% of 4 Kw i.e 4.3 kW.

Not a good idea as TIC now exceeds the banding for the FIT payment. Keep at 4kW or below.....

Just started in North Wales. I am confused between the 16a 3.68 kW requirement (eg SSE Scottish and Southern Energy) in their area without surveys etc. and the 4 kW maximum allowed for the FIT and the fact that at 4 kw the installation falls outside the limits of G83 requirements. The question is:

Thanks

rgf1

Hi

I contacted SSE a couple of weeks ago, twice (Perth) and they told me there was no limit to the system size I connected to the grid. Since then I have spoken to somebody with some sense at SSE (down south) and they confirmed the maximum limit is 4KW.

I got them to send me email confirmation.

I will be getting a 3.92kw system installed soon (Central Scotland)

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
You can connect as much as you want......just 3.68kW per phase without pre-authorisation (G83/2 or G59), its just if you go above the 4kW mark you drop down the FIT rates accordingly.

Reply to 3.68 kW or 4.0 Kw - does SP Networks (Scottish Power) allow 4.0Kw installations? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net