Discuss 3 inveters? Surely not!? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

matt25

Hi. Can anyone suggest what inverters should be used on a domestic 3.6kwp approx system where the modules are on 3 different aspects of the roof?

If there at different angles and all pointing in different directions you may need to use two inverters, one with duel mppt, and one with single mppt. That should do it.

There are a number of manufactures that supply duel mppt, take a look at all the leading brands and look through the specification, fronious is one that comes to mind. I'm sorry but I'm able to design the system for you as I don't know what panels they are and I have no idea about the site location, but ask your supplier to help.

Thanks for the help, the panels are bp185's. 5 or 6 on a south east with slight shading and 7 or 8 on west no shading

We've just got one similar, 9 on one east aspect at one pitch, 3 on east at another pitch 7 on south clear, and 2 on south with horrendius shading.

No choice, I tried everything I could, nearly 40 permutations, and the only one that actually worked was micro-inverters, even for just going the 9+7 I couldn't find a twin MPP inverter with good enough string match for only 3.04 kWp.

So micro-inverters it is (I knew they had a use!)

14 x 85 = 2.59 kWp - Who does a Twin MPP tracker inverter at that power?

When you use an oversized inverter the biggest problem is usually the higher voltage point before the inverter kicks in.

With a small number of panels you will be nearer the bottom end and when they heat up (hot sunny day) the voltage drops further so then the inverter kicks out on a sunny day as well as low light days and takes longer to kick in on the mornings and shuts off sooner at night, so your losses can mount up.

Hi Matt,

I would suggest a multiple inverter setup in this case.

We are an official Power-One distributor who have a 3.0 & 3.6, both of which have dual MPPT trackers.

I envisage utilising one/two of these would be your best option.

If you wish to discuss your requirement, or have any questions, please feel free to contact me anytime.

Best regards,
Christopher - PV Solar UK Ltd - 0141 642 9949

Reply to 3 inveters? Surely not!? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net