Discuss 3 phase 380V welder to run on a 3-phase 220V power in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pero66

DIY
Reaction score
I have an old Migatronic Automig X 200 welder configured as 380V 3-phase unit.

Migatronic for spec.

I have a 220V 3-phase point in my garage, but that does not work well, obviously.
What would be the best option to get this welder to work?
Would it be possible to rewire it so it can work on my 220V 3-phase supply, or would the best way be to find a converter from (1 or 3 phase) 220V to 3-phase 380V?

I will contact a professional electrician for the work if it can be rewired, I do not want to ruin this machine or my garage.
If a converter would be the best option, what would be the recommended specifications for it? Or even better, any recommended products? Living in Europe.

I have more pictures if there is a need for more details.Table.jpg

Wiring.jpg

An additional feedback from the Migatronic factory.
There should be a 9 pole terminal block with 220 and 380 markings. If that is not present, you should simply create one.

It means that I would need a 9 pole terminal block, and hook everything up as described in the wiring diagram.
1690378501762.png

My welder seems to be a pure 380V machine from factory, so they did not create the 220V alternative there:
1690378606941.png

So this should be (almost) easy. I still would appreciate any feedback.

Looking at the schematics in the manual on the Migatronic website you linked to, the actual changes, to go to 220V 3-phase from 380V 3-phase, are pretty simple.
I don't think you need to physically fit a 9 pole block, just implement the circuit changes by moving 4 wires!

The three terminal 1 transformer wires (which currently appear linked together as a star point) need to be moved to their respective incoming phases, and the only other change is moving a tap on the hvid transformer.

It just requires getting your head round what changing the voltage links in the first diagram actually achieves.
You are right - it is (almost) easy !!

Looking at the schematics in the manual on the Migatronic website you linked to, the actual changes, to go to 220V 3-phase from 380V 3-phase, are pretty simple.
I don't think you need to physically fit a 9 pole block, just implement the circuit changes by moving 4 wires!

The three terminal 1 transformer wires (which currently appear linked together as a star point) need to be moved to their respective incoming phases, and the only other change is moving a tap on the hvid transformer.

It just requires getting your head round what changing the voltage links in the first diagram actually achieves.
You are right - it is (almost) easy !!
Thanks for the encouragement, I did have a couple of sleepless nights figuring it all out. I also understood during the process what would work and what could be a disaster. Finalized it today and tried it. Works like a charm!

Thanks for the encouragement, I did have a couple of sleepless nights figuring it all out. I also understood during the process what would work and what could be a disaster. Finalized it today and tried it. Works like a charm!
Absolutely well done! And thank you for the video! 🥇

Reply to 3 phase 380V welder to run on a 3-phase 220V power in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net