Discuss 3 phase looped service cut out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Got a customer with a 3 phase looped cut out. Only use one of the phases and there is likely a second fuse on the adjacent holder/phase.
I have asked the DNO to take a look and advise as the customer wants an EV charger. With a looped supply you should get dnos advise first. ENA guidance also says assume 60 amps until proven otherwise. So a few things to check here. On a previous job they changed the cutout as it was looped and old. Another they said carry on but fit a ct clamp to limit the load but they did change fuse from 60 to 80 amps whilst there.
Could be the 3rd fuse holder is supplying next door as its a semi and the whole street is looped supplies.
Did knock to enquire but got no answer.
Likewise could be empty / unused phase.
What are people's thoughts? Don't tend to see many like this in Bath with your main fuse in the neighbours house! Have come across some in the kingswood / hanham areas of Bristol and South Gloucestershire.

Attachments

• IMG_20200605_150855.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 34
Prob be looped to next door and the blank unused ways are not connected in the head
will be single phase in there

Or you may find one has a fuse or solid link for next door
Suggest a DNO visit

Prob be looped to next door and the blank unused ways are not connected in the head
will be single phase in there

Or you may find one has a fuse or solid link for next door
Suggest a DNO visit
Have arranged just that. Need to confirm they are happy for the charger to be connected with it being a looped supply of some sort. Also unsure on next doors connection to this.
They can then tell me if the fuse can be changed to 100 amp of if its a ct clamp pod Point job or zappi to limit the max demand in the house with charger fitted.

Looks like it’s looped on the supply side.
Row of houses.... first house comes off L1, second from L2, 3rd from L3....
You’ll find every house has same 3ph head but only one fuse will be used. (The other fuseholders may have nothing in them)
Each house gets a single phase installation.

Fairly simple way to get free leccy for the weed farm. :eek: :oops:o_O

Reply to 3 phase looped service cut out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net