Discuss Cut-Out Fuse Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

harv

-
Reaction score
Newbie Question: I know theres loads of posts about this topic, but IM due to change a consumer unit for a customer and had told them to contact their supplier to get an isolator switch fitted(they are having a smart meter fitted as well) and the supplier has said thats the DNOs responsibility. the DNO have told the customer that they are happy for me to cut their seal, remove the fuse change the CU and then re-install the fuse, and that i don't need to re-seal the cut-out because they are having a the smart meter fitted within 28 days of me completing the job.

Any one come across a policy like this before? I know SSE (the DNO in question) can supply temporary seals to contractors, but i cant get hold of the depot to request some and the customer service centre couldn't do anything other than give me the phone number for the depot(which is what id been trying)

any advice would be great

I'm rather surprised at the DNO's response, but as they have said you don't need to reseal the cut-out, why are you worrying?
Just slightly concerned that with the customers energy supplier fitting a smart meter after I've been to change the CU that the finger could be pointed at me for the fuse not being sealed. Are they really concerned about fuse seals or are the meter seals more of a concern for them?

Newbie Question: I know theres loads of posts about this topic, but IM due to change a consumer unit for a customer and had told them to contact their supplier to get an isolator switch fitted(they are having a smart meter fitted as well) and the supplier has said thats the DNOs responsibility. the DNO have told the customer that they are happy for me to cut their seal, remove the fuse change the CU and then re-install the fuse, and that i don't need to re-seal the cut-out because they are having a the smart meter fitted within 28 days of me completing the job.

Any one come across a policy like this before? I know SSE (the DNO in question) can supply temporary seals to contractors, but i cant get hold of the depot to request some and the customer service centre couldn't do anything other than give me the phone number for the depot(which is what id been trying)

any advice would be great
Sse are one of the good dnos for this.
They usually provide stickers as temp seals.
I use my own metal seals and crimps to reseal when done.
As long as it's single phase domestic setting. With no loads and cut out in good condition then sse will permit you to pull the fuse if you are in a scheme.

Sse are one of the good dnos for this.
They usually provide stickers as temp seals.
I use my own metal seals and crimps to reseal when done.
As long as it's single phase domestic setting. With no loads and cut out in good condition then sse will permit you to pull the fuse if you are in a scheme.
Im registered NICEIC, and as i mentioned, i cant get hold of the depot to get temp seals, but they've said over the phone they are happy for me to pull and not worry about re-sealing it as the supplier are fitting a smart meter within the following 28 days. should i be concerned or just do as they've said?

Ask for it in an email then.
I have done and am waiting for them to get back to me, Just wandered if i should be concerned or if I'm over thinking it because the meter is being changed after I've been there and its me who will have cut the cut-out seal.

I've been lucky over the years, most haven't been sealed ?
DNO's in my experience are fine as long as your registered with the NICEIC.
They will allow you to pull the fuse, and send someone around to re seal afterwards.
IF your NAPIT they will send a SWAT team in. ?

It does annoy me when they fit smart meters but cant be arsed to fit an isolator at the same time.
Deffo ring the DNO if smart meters are installed, or your customer will get a call asking if theirs something wrong with there supply. I prefer to fit my own seals once finished anyway, just seems the right thing to do.

Last edited:
I've been lucky over the years, most haven't been sealed ?
DNO's in my experience are fine as long as your registered with the NICEIC.
They will allow you to pull the fuse, and send someone around to re seal afterwards.
IF your NAPPIT they will send a SWAT team in. ?

It does annoy me when they fit smart meters but cant be arsed to fit an isolator at the same time.
Deffo ring the DNO if smart meters are installed, or your customer will get a call asking if theirs something wrong with there supply. I prefer to fit my own seals once finished anyway, just seems the right thing to do.
Thanks for this, sounds like all should be okay, will look at getting my own seals because as you say seems like the right thing to do and gives piece of mind. I Was just worried that the old analogue meter was changed in 2006 and the fuse was sealed then and has remained that way since and don't want any grief from them after the meter change happens post me being there if i was to leave it un-sealed.

Thanks for this, sounds like all should be okay, will look at getting my own seals because as you say seems like the right thing to do and gives piece of mind. I Was just worried that the old analogue meter was changed in 2006 and the fuse was sealed then and has remained that way since and don't want any grief from them after the meter change happens post me being there if i was to leave it un-sealed.
You are over thinking this... if you have a brother label printer you can get security tape and put this on, better than a paper label and once removed cant be re-applied.

you'll only get grief if there is evidence of energy theft. just get the customer to shut down his cannabis farm for a couple of days. ??

You are over thinking this... if you have a brother label printer you can get security tape and put this on, better than a paper label and once removed cant be re-applied.
Tis true, but we have all been guilty of overthinking things. Especially if you keep reading that ruddy light blue book. ? Heaven forbid!! Do it to often and you'll turn into an NICEIC assessor ???

Tis true, but we have all been guilty of overthinking things. Especially if you keep reading that ruddy light blue book. ? Heaven forbid!! Do it to often and you'll turn into an NICEIC assessor ???
thanks for reassuring me, i thought i was but as i said, just kept thinking about it and wether i was doing the right thing.

thanks for reassuring me, i thought i was but as i said, just kept thinking about it and wether i was doing the right thing.
Just always and I mean ALWAYS do an IR test on your CUs main switch (BEFORE installing any tails) so you know its good before putting that cut out fuse back in. NEVER rely on it being in the off position, because they can be faulty. And fitting a 100 amp cut out fuse back into the carrier with a dead short on the end of it isn't for the faint hearted. I spoke to a lad about his experience when in A&E once. He was still shaking after they had bandaged his hand up ?

Also a good idea to wear a face visor and have at least leather riggers gloves or similar just in case.

I think it was Lucien who said he would line the fuse up then push it in smartly with the palm of his hand. The last thing you want to do if you have inserted on to a fault is, unfortunately, your natural reaction which is to pull it out again. Not gripping it avoids that reaction. Just let the fuse blow internally and have it quench the arc.

Brown trousers can be an asset as well.

Just to add that obviously if you do this sort of thing regularly or are going to tackle systems where arc-flash is likely then you should get the proper PPE. Often gloves have a rubber insulating inner and a leather outer for mechanical protection and the arc-flash rating. For example:

And for convenience kits of glove sets:

But you can get some insulating gloves that are usable without over-protectors for arc-flash and mechanical toughness, such as:

Medium energy arc-flash masks are kind of expensive, for example:

But for most folk not doing high energy systems (more so if fuse-protected so less let-through energy) you can get reasonably prices safety hat/visor such as this:

(also handy for other risks to your face/eyes such as drilling/cutting)

Also to add don't were polyester/nylon, etc. but natrual fibers like cotton/wool/silk, and ideally a proper heat-resistant overall (again, you get arc-flash rated ones).

Synthetic material melt and sticks to your skin making any burn much harder for the medics to fix.

Reply to Cut-Out Fuse Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net