Discuss AC Adaptor amperage question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

boney2

DIY
Reaction score
This isn't really DIY as such, but I need advice regarding a replacement power adaptor for an electronic device.

The device requires an adaptor rated 24V and 3.3A
It has a bit of an unusual connector so it's not so easy to find but I have seen two possibilities on eBay. There's a quite expensive one rated 24V and 5A. And there's a cheap one rated 24V and 3A.

I understand the expensive one will probably be okay because it outputs more than the required 3.3A.

Will the cheap one be okay? There's not much difference between 3A and 3.3A. How exact are these types of ac adaptors anyway?

Just wondering. I'll go for the expensive one if it's likely to cause problems.

I wouldn't go for the underrated one. The way some cheaper power supplies are specced it would probably be barely capable of a sustained 3A anyway. Play it safe

Fair enough.
For the record, when I said it was cheap I didn't mean it was necessarily bad quality. They're being sold on eBay and are previously used. The "cheap" one has just been priced lower by a less greedy seller.

Reactions: DPG
We don't know the demands placed on the PSU by the device in question, and how much leeway, if any, the original designers allowed.
The 5A one should be fine, the 3A one may be fine.

As brianmoooore said we don't know the load, it should be in the device's label expressed in A or W.

What is this for?

Reply to AC Adaptor amperage question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, I'm planning on adding some lighting to an old stone shed, there's currently a 2.5mm² SWA supply to the shed only supplying one IP rated...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in Mexico, where I have a small, un-official trailer park on my property. The property is serviced by my privately owned, 650amp...
Replies
Views
Ferrets are known for being small, resourceful, and incredibly clever. They can solve many problems by fitting into tight spaces and doing jobs us...
Replies
Views
Hello folks, hoping for some help on a project I'm doing at home involving my 3D Printer (...it's 2019... who doesn't have one of these things at...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm building a small, home tanning bed. I finally have a staircase timer which works. It's rated at 16amps. I'm using 10 x 160watt...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock