Discuss Adding socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello Sparkies

I want to add another socket in the through lounge. I currently have two sockets (one in each room) and want to add a third but not sure how to.

Lifting the floor boards revealed a 3 way junction box from CU to two sockets. Is it ok to wire from an existing socket to the new one? I’m presuming I couldn’t change the junction box to add another point.

the problem however is that the place I want the socket on is blocked by a wall which runs across the room so I can’t go straight across but I could go around it across the room, through the cellar and back into the room on the other side but I’m worried the cable might be too long at 15meters.

bear in mind I will also be using a 4 way extension off that socket so I don’t want any Christmas fireworks either.

any advice much appreciated.
thanks

there's more than 1 way to do what you want, but there are a few things that could bite you in the arse. e.g is the existing circuit RCD protected. TBH- best get a local electrician who will install it the best way and test to prove safety. ballpark cost would be <£100 inc. materials.

Adding a socket as a "spur" off a junction box is best avoided for all sorts of reasons, they really ought to be part of the ring. As above, best to get a professional in to do that.

However, you can get professional multi-way blocks if you want a lot of low power things plugged in (such as TV, PS2, laptop charger, etc - anything other than heater, air-con or kitchen appliances really). These are OK and cheap:
https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/2818ns-1n-1m/extension-lead-surge-switched/dp/PL15337

If you want really professional ones then these folk do the sort used in data centres, professional laboratories, etc. for example:
https://olsondirect.co.uk/8-way-13a-illuminated-main-switch-neon-fused-pdu.html?___SID=U
But they make a bewildering array of options and will also do custom ones (longer cable, etc) on request.

Thank you @pc1966 @telectrix

I don’t believe their is an RCD. It’s an old Victorian house and I believe it just has a mains fuse.
I used to have an extension cord on the existing socket already but didn’t like it trailing around the fireplace which is why there is a wall under the floor boards.

I was under the impression (blame YouTube) that I could add a spur and according to many other sites I thought it was ok to do without a professional. That’s incorrect is it?

Perhaps I’ll get someone to come in and take look.

if the xisting socket circuit does not have RCD protection, you can't alter that circuit without adding RCD and bringing installation up to current standards. could be earthing and bonding problems also.by altring the circuit could be opening a can of worms that could ultimately result in fire or personal injury.

The wall under the floor by the yellow line may be solid if its the remains of a full height wall that divided off two rooms, but I doubt it if I am looking at a fireplace on the right hand side, the other wall at half distance is in all probability a honeycomb construction dwarf wall in place to help prevent joist bounce, it will be honeycomb to allow ventilation under the floor to help prevent dry rot, if these assumptions are correct an electrician will be able to run a cable to the new position without too much of a problem.

The wall is solid unfortunately. It ends about 1m just before the far wall. The other side of the wall is the hallway which has the cellar underneath it ; it has a coal shaft with a ventilation brick, I assume air passes under it via the cellar since you can see the crawl space of that room when you’re down there. That’s why I thought the only way to wire it was to go out and around but I know cable length can be an issue too.

The way to reduce the risk is to get an electrician in to do it for you they have the expertise to traverse the room and connect the new socket safely.

whatever way it's done, RCD protection must be installed. either for the whole circuit or just for the new work.

Reply to Adding socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock