Discuss Alarm system wiring - Daisy chain in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello

I’m a relatively new spark and have avoided installing wired security alarms instead opting for wireless systems for customers.

I have a rewire currently and the customer is wanting a wired system.

Am I right in thinking I can daisy chain the sensors and keypads?

They have a three floor house and want a keypad by the front door then one on the mid and top floor.

I’ve ran 1 cable from the alarm panel position to the mid and top floor in a daisy chain. I plan on running a separate to the front door position.

Additionally I was planning to run a separate daisy chains run for the PIRs and door contacts respectively.

I’ve ran individual cables from the front and back Sirens.

Is this the norm?

Any advice would be appreciated ?

TL;DR
Alarm wiring - Daisy chained sensors and keypads.
Cable to every sensor unless you want them all on 1 zone which isn't a good idea. Keypad can ve daisy chained but again I run a cable to each one in case of any future damage. Personally I would run a cable to everything and separate each zone.

It depends on the system, and they vary a lot.
The most basic systems cannot tell you which sensor on a zone has been triggered - so best to keep the zones small. But others are more intelligent, at each sensor you have a small IC that talks to the panel - so the panel can identify each sensor individually.
So before you start with any wiring at all, you need to design the system and work out what wiring is required for the system to work. If you are being asked "install some cabling" then your response should be "give me a spec and schedule so I can install what's needed".

The first thing to assess would be how many detectors and door contacts you are using in order to spec a control panel with sufficient zones / circuits

To wire a number a number of detectors / contacts on a single cable run you would need to use a control panel that can support "biscuit wiring", this is where each detector / contact is wired using an ID biscuit so it is uniquely identified on the control panel. With this method of wiring care has to be taken that the length of cable and load does not drop the voltage too much on the detectors alternatively doubling up of the cores carrying the power is an option to consider

Don't forget some systems recommend shielded twisted pair cable to connect key pads and zone expanders. Though for little systems and short cable runs you are probably fine. Avoid putting loads of devices on one zone, really there should be only one device per zone (or use an ID system as above) If you get an intermittent fault it can be a pain to find the fault. Looked at a fault recently on a zone that had 11 devices, not fun.

Reply to Alarm system wiring - Daisy chain in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock