Discuss ali/tinned copper twin and earth in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jimbo123

Hi guys.
Is it ok to spur off a old socket that's wired in the old twin/earth cable its either tinned copper (conductors and earth is sranded) or aliminium as iv heard metals can react with one another.thanks

it's probably tinned copper 7/029. never seen 7 strand alli. alli cable was solid. in which case, all you need to be sure of is the connections are sound. give ' em a good tug.

That's a relief, as its a dorma bungalo and the original cable is clipped on the joist and is impossible to unclip/reach so its a chop and jb job where accessable thanks

To be certain just scrape part of the conductor lightly with a sharp knife blade, if it's tinned copper the tinning will be removed revealing bright copper rather than bright aluminium otherwise.

I trust that due to the addition your making you are bring the rest of the circuit up to date with regards to the 17th, and namely RCD protection, i can only guess with its age its possibly still on 3036' fuses or first gen mcb's

Hi guys.
Is it ok to spur off a old socket that's wired in the old twin/earth cable its either tinned copper (conductors and earth is sranded) or aliminium as iv heard metals can react with one another.thanks

As long as the socket you're spuring off is actually on a ring. In older houses, with tinned copper cabling, there is often only one RFC and a lot of the sockets are wired as single spurs off the one ring (often RFC upstairs and spurs dropped down to feed (single) sockets on the downstairs floor. So check it's actually on the ring before spuring off it.

Is there any requirement to do so?
Think i need to word that better i see your point ... the additional point he provide will have to be installed with the 17th in mind thus rcd protection provided as a full test of the circuit would normally be done prior to the addition any none compliance with existing needs noting and where it presents a hazard needs correcting before the addition. When you make an alteration and/or addition to a circuit you become responsible for the whole circuit and not just the section you added or altered.

Last edited:
yes, the consumer unit has rbeen updated to a dual rcd. as for finding out if the socket im coming off is on the actual ring or a exisiting spur im not too sure. its a dorma bungalow if that gives you guys any ideas. from what i remember the old re wireable fuse board, only had 4 fuses, lights,sockets,cooker and a single 40amp switch for the shower.

Ali is very soft and is solid never seen stranded ali not in TWE any way
Agreed it's not seen in BASEC approved cable, but both BASEC and FS cables have stated that rogue copper clad steel and copper clad aluminium (both tinned and plain) cables have been reported increasingly as the price of copper rises in value. In older installations dating from the 1960s aluminium stranded T&E was offered to installers as a cheaper alternative to the common copper version, however it was only available for few years before it was withdrawn on safety grounds.

Reply to ali/tinned copper twin and earth in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net