Discuss Am I missing something? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rhett45

DIY
Reaction score
I am fitting a new light fixture. I have done one already and now on the second one. They are exactly the same.

It is a dimmer light. It has 2 lives, 2 neutral, and a earth (the naked wires).

For the previous light I simply swapped them all out for the new light and it worked fine. This doesn't work even though I've done the same thing. Before I shortened the braided wire, I tested it and it worked. Since then, I drilled the holes for the ceiling bracket and wired it in. When I flipped the switch, nothing.

I've tried testing another light and it still doesn't work. Is there someway I can test the wires? I have a multimeter but I am just a guy with VERY limited knowledge on these things so please be aware of this.

The wires seem to go into the block and fit well so I can't see what the problem is. How do I isolate the issue?

Many thanksPXL_20201205_134013346.jpg

Are you sure you haven’t tripped the rcd/mcb during the install?

Hi. I just found out that I drilled through the main wire above the ceiling. What do I do now?

How did you find this out? Do you have access to the cable above the ceiling (i.e. is this on the ground floor and hence you have another floor above you or is the space above the attic)?

If you don't feel confident repairing the cable, get some recommendations from family or friends for a local electrician.

Worst case is a hole in the ceiling or the floor above so a maintenance free junction box can be installed to repair the damaged cable. Of course it goes without saying... turn off the circuit supplying those lights and do not turn it back on until the damage has been repaired.

Reactions: DPG
I should add... the earths should be insulated using green/yellow earth sleeving.

How did you find this out? Do you have access to the cable above the ceiling (i.e. is this on the ground floor and hence you have another floor above you or is the space above the attic)?

If you don't feel confident repairing the cable, get some recommendations from family or friends for a local electrician.

Worst case is a hole in the ceiling or the floor above so a maintenance free junction box can be installed to repair the damaged cable. Of course it goes without saying... turn off the circuit supplying those lights and do not turn it back on until the damage has been repaired.
I've called an electrician. I could probably figure out using the box but repairing all the ceiling etc....nope. Quite annoyed with myself but this will have to be done by a professional I think. Appreciate your input

Reply to Am I missing something? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net