Discuss Anti Virus renewal time in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

OK, so got myself a new laptop and coincendentally our AVG Internet Security,antivirus, etc protection need renewing - anyone got any views on what's good and bad on the market??

Thanks

There's so many free options, unless you have money to burn I would just use one of them. If you're familiar with AVG then completely uninstall your existing AV and grab AVG free. If you're one of the ultra-paraniod types then use Sandboxie for browsing and email client and Bob will be your uncle (see avatar) :) .

Comodo products come highly recommended. I've used their firewall in the past and it was definitely one of the better programs out there and a small resource footprint as well.

Or use a Linux-based OS (Ubuntu say), and avoid all that hassle ...

And then use VirtualBox to run Windows on top of Ubuntu to get the best of both worlds (of course you still need anti virus software for the Windows install then). That eases the transition to Linux/Ubuntu and allows you to run any Windows based programs that you haven't found a replacement for yet. That's what I do anyway and it works a treat.

Windows is targeted too much and is too vulnerable to be capable of security, even though you have anti-virus software, cyber-criminals know how to work their way around this, AVG is decent for windows, however if you want to keep your sensitive data secure use a linux based operating system, i'm currently using linux mint and it is great, much more secure than windows. Windows has many vulnerabilites waiting for people to exploit, linux operating systems are being constantly updated so they can remain secure.

I use the Windows Security Essentials.
Used to use Windows Defender.
In the past I have used AVG, Norton, Macafee, and whatever options AOL, Virgin and Barclays Bank have had for free.
None of them are perfect, and to be honest the drawbacks of the third party offerings outweigh the benefits.
The Windows option doesn't appear to affect the speed or usability of my computer.
The most vulnerable programs appear to be Java and Adobe reader.
Every so often I remove and then re-install them.
Microsoft also provide an online safety scanner which I use occasionally.

Windows is targeted too much and is too vulnerable to be capable of security, even though you have anti-virus software, cyber-criminals know how to work their way around this, AVG is decent for windows, however if you want to keep your sensitive data secure use a linux based operating system, i'm currently using linux mint and it is great, much more secure than windows. Windows has many vulnerabilites waiting for people to exploit, linux operating systems are being constantly updated so they can remain secure.

i agree with this I have used linux for 10 years now and currently have archived over 275 english language versions.
many of these are security intensive distros and i have more than a few forensic versions.
ive been building computers for about 35 years now

Reply to Anti Virus renewal time in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net