Discuss Army spark in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

rubbish. when i left, i had done 3.5 years, and was earning 18k a year. you do get a pension, free sports clubs ect, and the food and accomodation is massivley subsidised.

Join the RAF Regiment.
It gives you a better range of choices, almost like being in four Army Regiments at the same time.
They've got transport, armoured, infantry, engineering, comunications, etc. all in one place.

Join the RAF Regiment.
It gives you a better range of choices, almost like being in four Army Regiments at the same time.
They've got transport, armoured, infantry, engineering, comunications, etc. all in one place.

I would endorse part of that quote above

The best and most independent job I ever had was a ground electrican in the RAF(going back a while mind you)
I was to all intents and purposes my own boss

I was a full time duty electrician ( one of four) on camp for a few years and worked out of hours whilst everybody else worked when I was off
It en tailed camp maintenance in the Hangers,Battery room,Domestic washers and the like, airfield lighting etc

It probably as changed no end by now,but being a spark in the RAF was bliss and good money as well

I suspect you cant join as a spark even if you are qualified,you will still possibly have to go through their training also

You would have to go through some kind of assessment or training, whichever branch you opted for.
The reason I would suggest the Regiment, is because there is much more variety.
The Regiment performs multiple roles that in the Army would be performed by individual Regiments.
Depending upon your apptitude, there's greater chance of getting moved between the various squadrons and eperiencing the various roles.
Whereas if you joined an Army infantry Regiment, then that would be all you would experience.
You'd find it very hard to then transfer to an armoured Regiment, or a comunications Regiment, etc.

Spin, i see what your saying but i think you missed the point ( or else i did) the op wants to do sparking in the armed forces, not infantryman or gunner, sparking in the raf when i left was the job of General Technician electrical, or some grand title,they would maintain raf reg equipment and everything else electrical for that matter, i met a guy in the Falklands whose job was to look after the barrack block vacumn cleaner.

There are so many benefits especially to have the opportunity to see a bit of the world for free.
I knew some Army Sparks in the Falklands, no stress and anything which was going to take a few days my company came to do it!

Good luck.

Reply to Army spark in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net