Discuss [at testing- Seaward Primetest 100 in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wilco

Hello,

i have recently brought a seaward primetest 100. I am planning to pat test self emplyed but have realised that this pat tester does not have a 250v option. Does this mean i can not pat test it equipment or other sensitive equuipment such as surge protected extension leads?
If not is a visual inspection and functional check. good enough to pass this type of equipment?

Thanks

Through experiance and advice from ELECSA I don't insulation test ANYTHING that may contain electronic parts. One of my subbies took out a £2500 vegatable prep machine at the local school insulation testing, Electrolux design said it would be fine, technical said no way. Long story short, my insurance company didn't like me and I didn't like the extra charges the year after. I have 2 primetest 100 and think they are great machines. Only bad point is the delay from pressing a key and it coming up on the display.

So For example on a computer do you just test the power cord of the computer and then just visually check and functionally check the actual computer or monitor? Also with your experience with the primetest 100 can you do rcd tests? if not how do you test equipment with rcd's?

Thanks

I test RCD's with the RCD tester on my mft. As PAT includes fixed appliances just having a PAT tester isn't good enough. You should know how to carry out manual earth continuity and insulation resistance tests from say the fcu feeding a hand drier in a toilet.
I test pc/monitor combo's by clamping the earth onto the back of the pc or monitor vga cable shield. Usually you can then just swop the plugs over with the earth probe staying where it is. I don't see how testing just a lead passes the appliance.

It is better if old threads aren't bumped unless it's with relevant content or some new info, it just buries the newer and more relevant topics at the bottom of the page meaning they don't seen as easily.

It is better if old threads aren't bumped unless it's with relevant content or some new info, it just buries the newer and more relevant topics at the bottom of the page meaning they don't seen as easily.

And your point is!!

Check out post No 8 along with all the posters other belated welcome spam in other threads

I test pc/monitor combo's by clamping the earth onto the back of the pc or monitor vga cable shield. Usually you can then just swop the plugs over with the earth probe staying where it is. I don't see how testing just a lead passes the appliance.

does the seaward prime test 100 not them run through its test sequence including 500v insulation resistance and damage the computer? If theres a way to stop it info on how to test IT equipment step by step with primetest 100 would be a life saver.

Many thanks

Reply to [at testing- Seaward Primetest 100 in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net