Discuss Attempting GFCI with limited wires, need help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So I have a light and a switch in my bathroom. The goal is to have a lightswitch/outlet/GFCI combo in the light switch box controlling the light with the outlet constantly having power regardless of switch position.

I have 2 electrical boxes in the bathroom:

One box with the light switch/outlet combo (the outlet half never worked) with 2 wires coming in, a black and white wires to the switch half that controls the bathroom light.

The other box has the light mounted on it, has 4 wires coming into it, from the top of the box a black and a white (assume hot and neutral), and a black and white going to the switch box for the light switch.

Originally the light switch controlled the bathroom light and had a dead outlet that never worked in it. Is it possible to get the light switch working and outlet to constantly be powered (I bought a GFCI combo) WITHOUT running additional wires?

Ive included pictures of everything. Thanks!

Attachments

• D73C40C2-4323-4464-9B8A-12B3F502B59A.jpeg
    495.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 59FAD51E-B3D8-4CB9-9D6A-B029A2E2E532.jpeg
    670.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 90F1268E-00CA-4750-A739-0B2D6707D250.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 5
  • A4516D8B-A9FC-44E5-BA84-1E73BD0C26D8.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 4
Your light switch doesn't appear to have a neutral which probably explains why the existing outlet did not function.

I am assuming at the light box the two blacks were joined together at the two whites connected to the light.

Reply to Attempting GFCI with limited wires, need help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

First, sorry if I'm not in the correxct thread. I'm trying to replace an old switch with a WIFI switch and cannot seem to do it right. There are...
Replies
Views
Hi, I installed 6 recessed lights in my living room. I’m now up to the wiring part of the project. There is an outlet in the room that is...
Replies
Views
DYI guy here with some basic knowledge of electrical craft. I am helping a buddy in his remodeled bathroom. His GFCI outlet was powered off vanity...
Replies
Views
Hello. I am new to wiring and could use some help getting this circuit wired in the kitchen . I am trying to get the source power to the GFCI and...
Replies
Views
Hello, I currently have two switches in my bathroom. One controls the lights above the sink and the other controls a light above the toilet and...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock