Search the forum,

Discuss Back boards for consumer units' in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

hoover

-
Reaction score
Hi just wondering what everyone recommends now on new installs for mounting the cu's on. I know ply wood or wood of any kind for that matter is now frowned upon. What would keep everything looking nice and tidy rather than drilling and screwing everythin to to plastered wall?

Heard this being discussed about before. Is it incase there is a chance of a fire starting if there is a serious fault within the CU?

Other than a solid masonary wall, what else can they be mounted on?

Yeah mate i've always used ply wood too but i recently read on here that this wasn't the done thing now. Although no alternatives were given

strage, my last assesment, he actually pointed out the CU I'd mounted on a board and said "I'm glad you've done that and come through the back with the cables"

HDF its like MDF but harder, and its quite difficult to set fire to.
Consumer units are now self extinguishing, so whats the problem mounting on plywood, if the CU did go up in flames then the house would probably follow anyway, so a bit of ply wont make a great deal of difference.
The DNO lads screw all their bits onto chipboard, so what happens if their supply head catches fire then?

Cheers............Howard

Most new builds are a couple of 2x2's with a piece of chipboard flooring screwed on the front ,scottish and southern are quite happy mounting the cutout and meter on it and the cu by the sparks

jamie

I use 18mm ply set off the wall with rubber doorstops so if a pipe fails and water runs down the wall it should run behind CU and not into it.:)

I was shown this method many years ago

I like that idea, (doorstops) will look better than the batton/chipboard I use at present!

Taking it one step further, what about using the doorstops and no ply?

Last edited:

Reply to Back boards for consumer units' in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net