Discuss Relocation of consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys
I’ve been requested to replace a consumer unit but will need relocating lower within a tight cupboard.
I will be installing a box with din rail and terminals etc and running new cables to new unit.
Problem I have is that the meter and isolator is mounted on a board. The only way to reposition the board to acceptable location is to run cables behind board.
I know it’s not great practice but no other possible route. Just wondered what your opinions are.
Cheers guys.

The outgoing final circuits from the new consumer unit will almost certainly be RCD protected so having them 'buried' isn't really an issue. I'm assuming safe zones are created by the new CU or your joint box?
The only real issue is extending and running the incoming supply. What cable are you running the supply in? If T+E could you put a plate on front of the board so the supply is mechanically protected?

EDIT - read it again now and realise you aren't moving it very far so will probably be tails from isolator straight in.

I know work is work, but I dont see the value add to this task.
Hopefully the OP will clarify the actual purpose.
Only two logical reasons are coming to me - It might be that an old Wylex needs changing and there isn't room in original location.
Or it might be that the original position is not able to be reached by an elderly customer.

Hopefully the OP will clarify the actual purpose.
Only two logical reasons are coming to me - It might be that an old Wylex needs changing and there isn't room in original location.
Or it might be that the original position is not able to be reached by an elderly customer.
It is an old wylex with limited space and also the customer is old and can’t access where it is. You were right on both counts!!! Lol!!!

7F92A6DF-B6B6-40B0-8D8B-BCCC7C05BE12.jpeg
E423C00D-9298-4C35-AFDC-D4F3BA4B853B.jpeg

Running them behind the board is fine. DIN rail or push fit connectors in an enclosure is also fine.

Reply to Relocation of consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net