Discuss Backbox lugs snipers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brizospark

Got caught out tonight got a call to fit 8 x flat plate sockets in place of standard white ones. No problem one of them jobs you can do without even thinking. So fitted them all got them all level looking nice polished fingerprints off - customer bound to be happy. Got a phone call couple of hours later "just noticed that my electrics are tripping " so I'm racking my brain thinking what could it be i was sure that I had fitted them all spot on. Nice swan necks on cables behind sockets and all so I go up to property and start taking sockets off can't see anything. All back boxes etc look good of new type until I take last socket off and noticed it was the only one that was an old type with the additional four lugs at top ad bottom as well as at sides. What had happened was with sockets being flat plate and connections sitting far back in box the sockets I fitted had the live connection bang in line with one of these lugs on the top- Sod's law. So the live connection was sitting about 1mm from this lug - this must have been why it wasn't tripping straight away because it wasn't actually touching. Anyway I chapped these lugs out and refitted the socket and switched on - tested - all ok but couldn't help feeling like a right mug. Tried explaining to customer but don't think they had a clue what I was on about!! What's worse is it was first job I was doing for this customer who could potentially get me a lot of work- hope it don't go against me!

I had just fitted a pile with four lugs and went around knocking the top and bottom lugs back. Then I realised I had just done the same on the vertical cooker box. Tried to bend it back and it broke off. :banghead: Doohhh.

It's so frustrating when you try to do your best to leave a good job so that it leads to more work and then something daft like this makes you look like a muppet. Just started up on my own too - last thing I need!

Happens to everyone, (all the time!) you just have to shrug and get on with it.
It is so easy to miss things as you are doing easy jobs, you always have to keep alert , but it doesn't help much.

think yourself lucky you didn't have to chop out all the 25mm boxes and replace with 35mm.

Really this old boxes are so much panic. I haven't tried this kind of fittings. This kind of case can be happen to anyone, it needs safety precaution. Well, by this incident you get an experience for future.

The worse are the old switch spur units that have unprotected terminals at the top and the old back boxes that have a whisker between the lugs and the live terminals, crazy design

as for installing flat plates on existing boxes.............bit of a minefield for many reasons, especially spurs and dimmer switches, and if the back box is not level nor is your new socket

always price accordingly

Well got a call today... Electrics still tripping. So went up and the joiner was there he said "forgot to mention when I was fitting skirtings I put a paslode nail through a cable, the circuit tripped but I pulled the nail out and switched back on and it was ok" can you believe this? Got cable out and sure as hell there was a black hole straight through the middle of it! This is why it's been tripping then!!! And here's me thinking its my mistake!!!!

Really this old boxes are so much panic. I haven't tried this kind of fittings. This kind of case can be happen to anyone, it needs safety precaution. Well, by this incident you get an experience for future.

I agree. Daz

can happen with 25mm single knockout boxes as well.....fold the top & bottom lugs in with pliers before fitting....especially for FCUs...

Yep, the Schneider flat plate actually come with instruction to remove the top and bottom lugs.

Last edited:
Well got a call today... Electrics still tripping. So went up and the joiner was there he said "forgot to mention when I was fitting skirtings I put a paslode nail through a cable, the circuit tripped but I pulled the nail out and switched back on and it was ok" can you believe this? Got cable out and sure as hell there was a black hole straight through the middle of it! This is why it's been tripping then!!! And here's me thinking its my mistake!!!!

Wonder if he's well in with the client ?

Reply to Backbox lugs snipers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net