Discuss Basic Complete Newbie Question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kerry Keays

Hi everyone,I have today literally started learning about electrics and have never fitted anything before. We recently built a new piece of furniture next to a double plug socket so had to remove it so the furniture would fit next to the wall. I made a hole in the unit and now need to extend the cable so it can fit through the hold and into the new location of the new double socket.1) I need to extend some cable from the wall only buy about 15cm so I bought some strip connectors and some insulation tape - I presume that is what I need? 2) So my second question is what type of cable do I need - I presume its 2.5mm twin and earth cable?3) If you see the attached photo there are 2 sets of red and black wires and 3 earth wires (1 of the earth wires seems to come from the other side of the wall. So how many of these wires do I need to connect to the double socket? What do I do with the extra earth wire?Thanks!!!!KerryPhoto 12-11-2011 16 08 20.jpg

your sockets will most likely be on a ring, with two sets of cable at each. Crimps and heat shrink will be better than connector block, in most places you can buy cable by the metre so there shouldn't be too much left over at the end. One of the earths will be coming from the back of the box the socket is mounted on and it's more than likely 2.5mm twin and earth cable
Think very carefully before doing this though mate electricity can and does kill and cause fires, you may want to get an electrician out to do this, it shouldn't be too pricey when you factor in your lack of knowledge versus your and your families lives.
Good luck

have to agree with trev. for what it will cost you to get a qualified sparks in, it will be done safely and give you peace of mind. connector block and tape is a recipe for disaster.

Can that piece of furniture be moved, or is it now part of the building? If it can be moved then what's going to stop the wires being pulled out when someone tries to move it?

Personally I would leave the socket outlet in place and cut a bigger hole in the back of the furniture.

Alternatively go with the advice given by trev1 and telectrix, and get a qualified sparks in.

thanks for the replies guys. normally i would get some sparks in but i am trying to learn a bit myself - i do have a which guide and want to learn...

the furniture is fixed in place - its a storage unit and so the wires won't be moved and the socket will be fixed.

trev1 what do you mean by ring? and can you or someone elaborate on how many of the twin and earth cables i need to connect to the back of the plug socket - do i need to just one set or both sets and what do I do with the extra earth wire?

I have looked up crimp and crimp tool and this looks like a good idea thanks - why is better than a connector block out of interest?

thanks for the replies guys. normally i would get some sparks in but i am trying to learn a bit myself - i do have a which guide and want to learn...

the furniture is fixed in place - its a storage unit and so the wires won't be moved and the socket will be fixed.

trev1 what do you mean by ring? and can you or someone elaborate on how many of the twin and earth cables i need to connect to the back of the plug socket - do i need to just one set or both sets and what do I do with the extra earth wire?

I have looked up crimp and crimp tool and this looks like a good idea thanks - why is better than a connector block out of interest?
Firstly mate I must say that I don't see this as a good place for you to start the learning process. When I served my apprenticeship I didn't get to connect sockets on day one, I applaud your enthusiasm but I have to counsel against you doing this job as there is a lot more to it than shoving a few cables into some terminals.
A ring final circuit means the cable comes out of the consumer unit, loops into the first socket then second, third etc then goes back to the consumer unit so on your socket there will probably be 2 lives 2 neutrals and 3 earths including the one earthing the back box.
Connector block and insulating tape is not a good idea, it's a bodge at best as it can and often does work loose.
Best advice is get a sparky.

Please don't take this as an attack because that's not what I'm trying to do but would you be so keen to try to repipe the gas supply to your heating boiler, or to get up on the roof to replace some slipped slates?

I don't like the sound of what you're doing or the way you're going about it either. I'm not sure about the UK regs but what you're doing would be illegal in my country. If something slides down the back of the 'storage unit' it would come into contact with the wiring and the connection. There's also too much scope for the unit to be moved which would damage the wiring and joints.

If the socket is now in an inconvenient place there's no substitute for relocating it somewhere more suitable.

If you insist on going ahead without professional assistance at least buy some Wago connectors instead of choc blocks and insulation tape and make sure you switch the power off before you start fiddling.

Last edited:
by the time you've purchased a ratchet crimper and a bag of 100 each size crimps you've almost paid for a qualified spark to do the job. honestly, the last 2 posts say it all. when you start wiring things up, learning the right way, there is an expert to check it before energising.

Get the help of a professional electrician. I'm sure he or she will let you watch, that way you will learn what is required in this case, how the job is done safely and how it is tested and certified to ensure the final circuit is safe for further service.

As much as some of us do like to give advice from time to time, i feel this is taking the right P**S, this is an electricians forum, not a diy advice centre, stone crows.

That is absolutely frightening :nono::shocked3:

Kerry- post which part of country you're in, and one of the people youve had replies from may just be a few miles away. Rough area, not address by the way!

Then they could at least show you the safe & correct way & teach you at same time! Cheers.

i have just purchased the readers digest " do it yourself brain surgery. " can't wait for my first client.

As much as some of us do like to give advice from time to time, i feel this is taking the right P**S, this is an electricians forum, not a diy advice centre, stone crows.
Whilst I agree that this is not a DIY forum Jase, do you not think it's best that People like Kerry can come along and ask questions before they put their fingers into close proximity to terminals which could be live?
If and when Kerry comes back here for a look at the advice we can talk through safe isolation and the test procedure at which point he/she may realise that it's too steep a learning curve. Fingers crossed.

agree, trev. the OP has been given good advice. the concensus of which is to get a qualifies spark in. whether he/she heeds this advice is another matter. would be nice to get some feedback as to what OP is going to do with the advice.

Hi Kerry

You are obviously not qualified and are in no way 'competent' to be playing with electrical installations- follow any one of the previous suggestions.

Get the help of a professional electrician. I'm sure he or she will let you watch, that way you will learn what is required in this case, how the job is done safely and how it is tested and certified to ensure the final circuit is safe for further service.

Best tell him not to ask Telectrix to come and fix it then, ....he charges 75 quid to watch!! lol!!:rofl:

Even a gold plated Which Guide won't make you a spark mate and if you mean by 'trying to learn a bit' you are saying you want to be able to do your 'own' household work then please heed the follwing advice which is not offered in jest or from a pretentious point of view. Your post wording clearly indicates you have no electrical knowledge, you are at risk of burning down your house, endangering your own, your family's and your visitor's lives. Electricians don't 'learn a bit', they serve a 3 year apprenticeship and it's three years for a very good reason. It makes them competent which you cannot in a million years become from reading Which Guides. This job would take an electrician 10 minutes to competently carry out, it would take you nearly an hour and it would not be classed as competently carried out. Sorry to put such a downer on this but this is exactly why houses burn down and people die.

Reply to Basic Complete Newbie Question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net