Discuss Bathroom light ip rating in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ive been having a discussion with a customer who wants me to put down
lights in their bathroom, their happy for me to install ip65 lights in zone 1 and 2 but they want normal down lights fitted out side of zones, I'm arguing the case for ip65s through out because I'm sure I've seen a minimum ip rating for bathroom lights no matter what zone, been through all of chapter 7 but can't find it. I'm sure it's in the regs. Any ideas.

personally i would fit the same IP65s , irrespective of regs., as then all the lights match.

I agree and I know I've seen a line in the regs saying all luminaries fitted in a room containing bath or shower must have a min ip rating of ipx4. Or something like that. Will end up fitting 65s it's just bugging me a bit

I think you will find that the IP ratings is for zones in the location only however external influances need to be considered.

I would also refer to the manufacturers advice is the fitting suitable to be fitted in a bath shower room.

It will look odd with IP65 fittings mixed up with other fittings due to size and appearance!

spin is correct as usual. The only thing I would add is that if it's above a shower (and low enough to be in zone 1), then it could be argued that it may be subjected to water jets, so IPx5.
Remember, many ceilings are high enough to be outside zones anyway, so fittings only need to be fit for the environment...make of that what you will....

spin is correct as usual. The only thing I would add is that if it's above a shower (and low enough to be in zone 1), then it could be argued that it may be subjected to water jets, so IPx5.
Remember, many ceilings are high enough to be outside zones anyway, so fittings only need to be fit for the environment...make of that what you will....

Yes, I too cannot get my head around that one! Anything above 2.25m from the floor is rated as 'outside zone' so no IP rating is required. Many ceilings in a bathroom are above that so do the regs really imply you can fit what ever lights you like as long as they meet 'general requirements?
When I start working in other peoples houses I think I may just continue the zones up to the ceiling rather than 2.25m as the steam from a bath or shower doesn't just reach that height and think 'the regs say I shouldn't rise any further so I'll stop!'

Totally agree. Common sense is something which the nanny state seems to leech out of people though. We simply have too many people whose job it is to tell us what to do, and we end up brainwashed into believing that only they know what is best for us. We have become a nation expected to "be grateful" when we receive services which we have already paid for...
Better stop now, grumpy old man syndrome is kicking in.

Reply to Bathroom light ip rating in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net