Discuss Bathroom mirror wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

wizard

DIY
Reaction score
Hi folks. Need some help, wanting to add bathroom mirror with built in shaving port but don't want to chop into wall as I can't replace the tiles, don't think they make them anymore. I'm planning on coming off the lighting circuit in bathroom, adding fuse spur and running pvc trunking down to mirror. Is this possible or a complete cowboy job? Cheers.

Hi folks. Need some help, wanting to add bathroom mirror with built in shaving port but don't want to chop into wall as I can't replace the tiles, don't think they make them anymore. I'm planning on coming off the lighting circuit in bathroom, adding fuse spur and running pvc trunking down to mirror. Is this possible or a complete cowboy job? Cheers.
Do you have a shaver socket already?

What is the construction of the wall on which you would like the mirror light?

These mirrors usually need a permeant live and a neutral and they then have switch on the mirror itself.
If there was access to a loft above then should be able to make a suitable junction up there to get the wiring required at the mirror.

I suppose the cable could then be brought down in trunking assuming any external influences have been taken into account, not exactly going to look great but each to their own.

However not sure how you would make for provision for entry of the cable into the mirror as all the ones I have seen are suitable for rear entry only...

This work is notifiable as it is an extension to circuit in a special location. Whatever work is done it needs to be tested, and fully compliant with BS7671 (Is type A RCD Protection in place?) and then notified to local authority.

Really it's the kind of work that ideally undertaken during a refurb of the whole bathroom

These mirrors usually need a permeant live and a neutral and they then have switch on the mirror itself.
If there was access to a loft above then should be able to make a suitable junction up there to get the wiring required at the mirror.

I suppose the cable could then be brought down in trunking assuming any external influences have been taken into account, not exactly going to look great but each to their own.

However not sure how you would make for provision for entry of the cable into the mirror as all the ones I have seen are suitable for rear entry only...

This work is notifiable as it is an extension to circuit in a special location. Whatever work is done it needs to be tested, and fully compliant with BS7671 (Is type A RCD Protection in place?) and then notified to local authority.

Really it's the kind of work that ideally undertaken during a refurb of the whole bathroom
Thanks for the info that's good to know, if I'm honest, I got a brand new bathroom mirror from a neighbour for 15 quid so couldn't say no. I plan on fully refurbing bathroom in the next 5 years, moved in a year ago so just trying to make it a bit better than what it is. Not too fussed about it looking spot on just more functional. Thanks for your replies.

Thanks for the info that's good to know, if I'm honest, I got a brand new bathroom mirror from a neighbour for 15 quid so couldn't say no. I plan on fully refurbing bathroom in the next 5 years, moved in a year ago so just trying to make it a bit better than what it is. Not too fussed about it looking spot on just more functional. Thanks for your replies.
No worries Pal - 💪 Stay Safe 💪

Reply to Bathroom mirror wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net