Discuss Become an electrician in 4 weeks - Feedback needed. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thomoose

I am 50 years old and I did one of these courses (although I didn't have to pay for it) and I offer the following points for your consideration.

1. The qualifications were, on the whole, too easy. The 17th Edition and the 2393 building regs were just tests on how to find answers in a book; the full scope part P was a little harder, had a practical element and inspection and test of this practical work; by far the hardest was the C&G 2391 which is a true test of both your knowledge of the regs and your practical ability to inspect and test a moderately difficult installation in a short time.

2. Now I have done this package of courses am I an Electrician? The answer is obviously no!! - but I have a starting point to move on from. However, how to move on is difficult, you can only gain experience on the job and nobody wants you on the job!

3. Will anybody employ me? From what I've seen so far, no!! - because as I have already said, in the main the qualifications are too easy to come by and I haven't served my time. Also, as the more experienced contributors have pointed out, these courses do not teach you the practicalities of real jobs, they are classroom based and are mainly wires clipped direct to a board on a wall - they are not chased half way round a house, through the loft, under the floor boards, etc... - this is what these courses dont teach you!

4. What am I doing now? Luckily I am not totally reliant upon this line of work for my income, so I am doing small to medium jobs for friends so I can take my time, learn while I am doing them and hopefully get better - and before anyone chirps up! Yes, I am insured - Yes I do know what needs to be notified and - Yes I do know my limits!

Overall, I agree with the majority that have responded to your thread, these courses will not make you a £30000 Electrician overnight, but they are a start and if you can find a kind hearted veteran to guide you on further it may eventually get you there. However, while these courses continue to be looked down upon with scorn by the seasoned campaigners and the trade in general, they will not get you very far on your own.

Cheers and all the best in whatever you decide.:6:

Reply to Become an electrician in 4 weeks - Feedback needed. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net