Discuss Become an electrician in 4 weeks - Feedback needed. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Going by how the opening post was written, i don't think this guy is much interested in doing things properly at all. He wants to do as little as possible, to be able to go into peoples homes and start making money. In other words he only wants to know about success stories from those that have completed these buck-shee training courses...(are there any??) Certainly doesn't want to know about the needed work experience required at the end of these courses or the amount of chancers these courses are creating within our industry...

It's the attitude of these people that get me, everything has to be available to them, like Yesterday!!! How can anyone even think that they can go from stacking Tesco shelves to being a qualified electrician in 4 /5 / 6 / 7 weeks ...there commonsense must be completely out the door!!!. I doubt if most of these guys even have the Math ability to start a training course, where calculations are an absolute necessity...

Did the guy who wrote the opening post ever wonder why us electricians with 10, 20 or 30 years experiance go on to this forum?

It's becuase even after this amount of tme we don't know it all!

Im not usually a fan of mass ganging up on the OP but sometimes its the only way to give em a reality check, its possible to do all the theory pass all the exams on a good 2year course then walk in a house to rewire it and not have a clue how to approach the job or run the cables from A to B..... id say minimum of a 2yr college course with work experience tide in just to get the basics to be competent then spend the next 20yrs as i have educating yourself adapting to changing reg's and technologies and been here now where i am i still confess im still learning the ropes and never expect to know it all one day as its always a changing picture.

going back to when i was a young sprog, ( don't say anything, malcolm!), there was a book out by bert weedon " play the guitar in a day". fat chance!!!. these courses are about the same level. you know a couple of chords, but jimmy hendrix, you ain't.

going back to when i was a young sprog, ( don't say anything, malcolm!), there was a book out by bert weedon " play the guitar in a day". fat chance!!!. these courses are about the same level. you know a couple of chords, but jimmy hendrix, you ain't.

Cheers Tel your post brought back memories?did you just see it or like me try it,boy you just made a happy man feel very old lol.

I thank everyone for their comments but I have read all this before in other threads. I was only really looking to hear from anyone that had done one of these courses and how they were getting on. There must be 1000's of people doing them and I just wanted hear some stories from the horses mouth rather than someone who has done it by apprenticeship and has no experience of these courses.

I have no opinion on these courses and all I read is negative but if they are so bad why do they exist and why do people do them? If there is anyone out there who has done a couses and wants to share a positive or negative experience I would love to hear from you.

My question to all the experienced sparkes who served there 3 year apprenticeships and slate these courses - I am 37 and fancy a change of direction does any one want to take me on as an appretice? The answer is no so do I then take my chances and spend £3k on a course that will give me some therory and possibly a foot in the door with a firm that will take me on a a mate or soemthing along those lines. Imagine an apprentice that you dont have to send to college one day a week for three years? Maybe these courses do have a place for sommeone like me who wants to get a foot in the door?

Unfortunately there is very little chance of you getting a foot in any door by taking this course.

The paper qualifications you will receive will not even get you an interview, in fact I would go as far as to say that your application would not even get looked at, by an electrical contracting company

The best chance you have is if you could find a small firm or a sole trader that needs "a hand" and try and increase your skill base that way, but for that you don't need to pay 2-3k for a course, you either need to be in the right place at the right time. or know someone who knows someone who just happens this week needs a hand.

The industry as an whole is in a terrible situation, I don't think in the 40 yrs I've been in it, there as been so much pressure on it with recession, influx of foreign labour, and lack of training.

It is a noble pursuit you wanting to retrain and I applaud that, but we are all trying to tell you is that at this moment in time, apart from swelling the coffers of a training provider, there is little gain for you personally

It is a difficult one as I have spent 10 years in an office, done quite well for myself but want a change and am fortunate enough to be in a position where I can afford a change if you know what I mean. I dont have age on my side and will consider doing anything to get my foot in the door. If a course in not going to help then I have to rethink my options. I have got a friend in the industry but he lives a good 60 miles away so working with him is not an option.

As I said when I started this thread the only person I have spoken to who has done one of these courses found himself out of his depth when he started working and the only way forward was to work with someone with experience. He was luck as he picked up the phone book and was lucky enought to find someone willing to work with him and teach him the pratical side of the job and his £4k course has paid off for him. I was hoping to hear some more success stories.

Thanks again to everyone,

It is a difficult one as I have spent 10 years in an office, done quite well for myself but want a change and am fortunate enough to be in a position where I can afford a change if you know what I mean. I dont have age on my side and will consider doing anything to get my foot in the door. If a course in not going to help then I have to rethink my options. I have got a friend in the industry but he lives a good 60 miles away so working with him is not an option.

As I said when I started this thread the only person I have spoken to who has done one of these courses found himself out of his depth when he started working and the only way forward was to work with someone with experience. He was luck as he picked up the phone book and was lucky enought to find someone willing to work with him and teach him the pratical side of the job and his £4k course has paid off for him. I was hoping to hear some more success stories.

Thanks again to everyone,

Hi mate

Like i said earlier, my experience mirrors your mate. I did one at ET4U and its woefully inadequate (but it does not matter where you go they are all the same) and you will only be able to do simple stuff. You will need a mentor no question, PM me and i will give you detail course details.

Id go down the 2330 route mate. Will take you 3 years to get up to level 3 though and thats 2 nights a week, but at least youll learn a hell of a lot more then what you would on a 4 weeks course and you'll get your moneys worth. You can then do your 17th regs and testing and inspecting.

I've recently just finished this route and also work in an office full time. I feel more then confident doing domestic work and this is what I plan to do in my spare time.

If I decide to switch full time all I'll need to do is a portfollio in the couple of years it will take me to gain enough experience to become a fully qualified sparky however at least I won't need to go college twice a week while learning a new job.

It is a difficult one as I have spent 10 years in an office, done quite well for myself but want a change and am fortunate enough to be in a position where I can afford a change if you know what I mean.

well theres thousands of sparks who are not in that position,who dont want a change(yet) but are finding it harder to get decent jobs with decent pay because the likes of yourself are devaluing the industry by jumping on a bandwagon that isnt moving,willing to work for free rising to min' wage,if youve spent 10 yrs in an office thats your choice,some lads have spent 10 yrs on a site that was their choice too..sometimes the choice you made in life might not be the one you like later in life,but you made a choice like we all did,right or wrong stick with it..you made it,you cant float through life chopping and changing..

well theres thousands of sparks who are not in that position,who dont want a change(yet) but are finding it harder to get decent jobs with decent pay because the likes of yourself are devaluing the industry by jumping on a bandwagon that isnt moving,willing to work for free rising to min' wage,if youve spent 10 yrs in an office thats your choice,some lads have spent 10 yrs on a site that was their choice too..sometimes the choice you made in life might not be the one you like later in life,but you made a choice like we all did,right or wrong stick with it..you made it,you cant float through life chopping and changing..

Some of the replys on this subject make me laugh. Why can't someone change career if they feel like it? You shouldnt have to work in the same job/career for 40/50 years.

Granted if someone wants to become an electrician they should have to do it properly and a 4 week course isn't doing it properly, but noone is going to employ someone with just that on there cv.

But to say you made your choice when you was 16, stick with it is a bit silly.

Some of the replys on this subject make me laugh. Why can't someone change career if they feel like it? You shouldnt have to work in the same job/career for 40/50 years.

Granted if someone wants to become an electrician they should have to do it properly and a 4 week course isn't doing it properly, but noone is going to employ someone with just that on there cv.

But to say you made your choice when you was 16, stick with it is a bit silly.

not really b,its a trade one like others takes years to be good at never mind master,if youre stacking shelves one day then working on a production line the next thats the type of job id expect to move freely too and from,now if your stacking shelves one day and 5 weeks later your a spark,doesnt work does it..you can move freely between unskilled jobs every week if you wish,thats because its unskilled work and the rates reflect that,but being a spark is going down the same route imo..and thats the thing, spark jobs are being offered at shelf stacker rates...is that right?

I can see what you mean but if people wanna better themselves then fair play to them as long as they do it properly. I've said in a previous post where I stand. A friend I went to college with has made the switch and is now working as an electricians mate on £8 an hour. He won't be getting sparky rates for a good few years and thats reality.

These courses are sold to 'shelf stackers' as do this course and you'll earn 30k a year. Thats obviously not the case as you won't be an electrician until you do your graft for a few years and have the right papers..... rightly so.

I can see what you mean but if people wanna better themselves then fair play to them as long as they do it properly. I've said in a previous post where I stand. A friend I went to college with has made the switch and is now working as an electricians mate on £8 an hour. He won't be getting sparky rates for a good few years and thats reality.

These courses are sold to 'shelf stackers' as do this course and you'll earn 30k a year. Thats obviously not the case as you won't be an electrician until you do your graft for a few years and have the right papers..... rightly so.

agree mate,if you want to be a spark or whatever,do it the right way,if it takes 4 years it takes 4 years,not 5 weeks,the i have a family/house to pay for etc doesnt mean you can do it any quicker,if you have a family/house etc,stick with whats paying the bills..as being a spark in 5 weeks wont...

agree mate,if you want to be a spark or whatever,do it the right way,if it takes 4 years it takes 4 years,not 5 weeks,the i have a family/house to pay for etc doesnt mean you can do it any quicker,if you have a family/house etc,stick with whats paying the bills..as being a spark in 5 weeks wont...

Sort of ironic statement in these times

Electricians seem united on the statement,its a pity the schemes didn't have the same attitude at the onset of Part p

As it is the schemes opened the floodgates to all these training providers to get rich on claims we all recognise as wishful thinking, by registering anyone and anybody who may have minimal qualifications but fat wallets

I have feelings that pull in two directions with the short spark training

Firstly that people are gullible enough to accept what is mostly hype and tripe off these criminal training companies about their prospects.
Secondly I feel sorry for these same good people, who may be paying hard earned money, only to be conned when all they are doing is their best to get on in life

im going into dentistry,
pulling teeth--pulling cables is harder
drilling teeth--ive drilled and tapped 2mm holes,its just panel work
fillings--no different than making a pyro end
teeth brace--just metal ty-raps

i dont even need a 5 week course to be a dentist either..

anyone got toothache yet:shades_smile:

im going into dentistry,
pulling teeth--pulling cables is harder
drilling teeth--ive drilled and tapped 2mm holes,its just panel work
fillings--no different than making a pyro end
teeth brace--just metal ty-raps

i dont even need a 5 week course to be a dentist either..

anyone got toothache yet:shades_smile:

My toothache just got better.....

Reply to Become an electrician in 4 weeks - Feedback needed. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net