Discuss Oven with 13a plug top in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been asked to fit new oven , which comes with a 13a plugtop , there is no socket close to plug into , if i cut plug off and connect into cooker unit connection behind cooker , do i have to adjust the 30a cooker unit fuse.

Not ideal as the 13 amp fuse will not be easily accessible, but I would prefer an unswitched fused connection point rather than plug and socket combination. Many ovens come with a label on the flex "do not fit plug" as so many are prone to overheating. Either way it would not be necessary to replace the mcb.

Last edited:
Not ideal as the 13 amp fuse will not be easily accessible, but I would prefer an unswitched fused connection point rather than plug and socket combination. Many ovens come with a label on the flex "do not fit plug" as so many are prone to overheating. Either way it would not be necessary to replace the mcb.
there is a plugtop on the oven , but there is no socket available unless using one above worktop which would be unsightly, there is the cooker plate connector under unit level , straight from the cooker unit above, not sure if i cut the plug off to connect into the cooker plate then 13a oven is only protected by the consumer unit fuse of 40a. reading conflicting opinions on various sites ,

If you replace the cooker outlet plate with an unswitched fused outlet you will not have to adjust the mcb, and you negate the use of a plug and socket, but it would make it necessary to remove the oven if ever the 13 amp fuse popped, so as said - not ideal

If you replace the cooker outlet plate with an unswitched fused outlet you will not have to adjust the mcb, and you negate the use of a plug and socket, but it would make it necessary to remove the oven if ever the 13 amp fuse popped, so as said - not ideal
so choices are fit a 13a socket and plug it in then its protected by fuse in the plug , or fit a 13a fused dp switch, or wire straight into the cooker plate , which i dont like the idea of , but many of these sites say is perfectly ok
best option is replace the cooker outlet with a single socket. then plug oven in. MCB in CU can remain.
this is what i,m thinking as long as i can get a socket on with the 6mm cable , a lot of these sites/threads are saying its ok to wire straight into the cooker outlet as the fuse protects the cable not the oven .

Oven should not be plugged into an existing 13A kitchen socket, as a 2kW+ fixed appliance should have its own supply.
By supplying the oven with a 13A plug fitted, they are effectively instructing that the oven should be protected by a 13A fuse.
The best way of connecting this is to fit a 13A socket connected from the existing cooker switch, in a cupboard adjacent to the oven. If the current drawn by the oven can reach close to 13A, I'd cut the plug off and use a 13A FCU instead.

or wire straight into the cooker plate , which i dont like the idea of , but many of these sites say is perfectly ok

If its a fixed load - element only, you may get away with that, but highly likely it will have a fan so not really a fixed load.
If you have the space to put a socket in an adjacent cupboard as said in post #9 that may be your best option. Its a personal thing with me to avoid ovens on plugs and connections added to connections, I prefer a more direct route. As said, my personal opinion - of which doesn't always count. :)

I havent seen it yet my son told me over the phone he,ll show me a picture tonight , but he says it is a new build house .
Well if its the square type, just to confuse things, and give you another option - you could replace with a two gang grid with a DP 20 Amp switch on one side, a fuse carrier on the other, and then cut the plug and connect straight into the outlet. At least the fuse would not be hidden anywhere.

Well if its the square type, just to confuse things, and give you another option - you could replace with a two gang grid with a DP 20 Amp switch on one side, a fuse carrier on the other, and then cut the plug and connect straight into the outlet. At least the fuse would not be hidden anywhere.
thought of that, now i think of it ishouldn,t new builds have the option of a socket under the units i,ll need to see his picture he said something about being unable to change outlet to a socket , he,s a gas engineer , i usually connect up these things for him ,but couldn,t attend today, so he,s got a fairly basic idea about these things ,i,ll need to wait and see.

Replace the cooker switch above the worktop with a 13a switch fused spur, and then the cooker outlet under the worktop with a single socket.

No downgrading of the MCB required.
Why replace the cooker switch?
Presuming it's wired in 6.0mm cable, just replace the outlet point with a socket controlled via the cooker unit.
I wouldn't fancy 6mm in and out of a fcu, either.

Replace the cooker switch above the worktop with a 13a switch fused spur, and then the cooker outlet under the worktop with a single socket.

No downgrading of the MCB required.
wrong.... 2 x 13A fuses in series. which one blows? ipf post #16 says all.

could you lengthen the cable from the outlet and place a socket in an adjacent cupboard, if the oven has a plug on it they will normally be of the heavy duty kind (same as the one on mine), it will be fan assisted and will not melt the plug. If it comes supplied from the manufacturer with a plug on then it will be more than adequate.

Why replace the cooker switch?
Presuming it's wired in 6.0mm cable, just replace the outlet point with a socket controlled via the cooker unit.
I wouldn't fancy 6mm in and out of a fcu, either.

Now I’ve re-read what I wrote it sounds stupid haha!
Will read through the entire thread next time before commenting, definitely got my wires crossed (Pun intended!)

Reply to Oven with 13a plug top in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net