Discuss Best MFT test leads in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Looking to replace my current generic test leads that are starting to show signs of variable readings. I also find the crocodile clips don't tend to stay on neutral or earth bars very well.

I have an MFT1711 (and a venerable 1552) so need standard 4mm connectors.

The Megger set are expensive, but if they are worth it then I'll bite the bullet.

There are also some Kewtech ones at a decent price on Screwfix - anyone with experience of both who can compare?

My current ones are like the original megger, with the sprung non GS38 metal ends, which are sometimes easier for swapping between probe and clip (on dead tests only, of course!)

Kyoritsu (spelling might be off)are reasonably priced. and very few croc clips grip the N and E bars. the spring loaded claws are better for that. try test-meter for a price.

https://www.kew-ltd.co.jp/en/products/detail/00118/

IMHO kewtech leads are the closest thing to universal usage ability. Megger leads are a bit of a nightmare there are certain situations you have to use them reversed in order to use them. For simplicity's sake kewtech leads are the way forward due to being more versatile. Although the problem of clipping on to the earth bus bar still does not go away. I clip the kewtech crocs sideways, which seems to work fine, sometimes I can push the croc straight in, which you can never do with the megger leads due to the crocs being chunkier. I had the megger 1741, got rid of it, and had to buy the kewtech set of leads to be functional with it. The kewtech leads fit into the socket tester for R1/R2 testing no problem, whereas I could not do that with the megger set. In short I hate the megger leads. Might be a trifle biased though.

IMHO kewtech leads are the closest thing to universal usage ability. Megger leads are a bit of a nightmare there are certain situations you have to use them reversed in order to use them. For simplicity's sake kewtech leads are the way forward due to being more versatile. Although the problem of clipping on to the earth bus bar still does not go away. I clip the kewtech crocs sideways, which seems to work fine, sometimes I can push the croc straight in, which you can never do with the megger leads due to the crocs being chunkier. I had the megger 1741, got rid of it, and had to buy the kewtech set of leads to be functional with it. The kewtech leads fit into the socket tester for R1/R2 testing no problem, whereas I could not do that with the megger set. In short I hate the megger leads. Might be a trifle biased though.
i also find that the megger leads will not work with lightmates.

Looks like the Kewtech ones are a good option then. Thanks all.

Yeah, had both (started with a Kewtech KT63, now have a couple of Meggers). I have retained a couple of Kewtech leads to work with the lightmates, the socket adapters, and my wander lead, but I personally prefer the megger leads (incompatible though they are with anything else) as they're a bit longer and floppier than the Kewtech ones.

I've yet to find a set of leads that doesn't get tangled up! :)

One thing I would say... if you do go for the Megger leads, don't get the fused ones (unless you need to for safety reasons), as the fuse adds variable and inconsistent resistance, which screws up your continuity and Zs measurements.

Reply to Best MFT test leads in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock