Discuss Blink doorbell wired in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rossco360

DIY
Reaction score
I'm having issues with the new Blink doorbell that I Installed today.

Basically, unless the doorbell is wired, it will default to a VERY basic use and run on batteries only which is not what I want.

It states that it needs to be between 16-24V and maximum of 40VA. Now I bought a bell transformer from Screwfix 8-24V 8VA and installed it today. I have wired the doorbell directly to the 24V end of transformer and getting a message that the wired power is not compatible. I then tried the 12V side and getting the same message.

Where I am getting confused is that on my meter, the 24V output reads 29V at the transformer and at the doorbell. Likewise the 12V reads 16V at both ends.

So I was thinking the first not compatible message is because 29V is too high but the second attempt reading 16V should work?.

Has anyone had any problems using a these new doorbells in the UK?

I've also tried the whole deleting the doorbell and re installing it using both voltages and having no joy.

Thanks for any help

Basically, unless the doorbell is wired, it will default to a VERY basic use and run on batteries only which is not what I want.

It states that it needs to be between 16-24V and maximum of 40VA. Now I bought a bell transformer from Screwfix 8-24V 8VA and installed it today. I have wired the doorbell directly to the 24V end of transformer and getting a message that the wired power is not compatible. I then tried the 12V side and getting the same message.

Where I am getting confused is that on my meter, the 24V output reads 29V at the transformer and at the doorbell. Likewise the 12V reads 16V at both ends.

So I was thinking the first not compatible message is because 29V is too high but the second attempt reading 16V should work?.

I've also tried the whole deleting the doorbell and re installing it using both voltages and having no joy.

Thanks for any help
Don't have experience with the Blink, but if it's similar to the Google or Ring ones, then they often seem to struggle with 'normal' door bell transformers in the UK, as they don't put out enough voltage or current.

Do they specify a minimum VA - that is probably the issue here.

I assume it's the British General one you got from Screwfix? If so the 8VA may not be enough for the doorbell to power itself.

8VA means maximum 1 Amp at 8V, but at 24V a maximum of 0.3A - and even if the 12V is actually putting out 16V it would only be 0.5A, which is possibly not enough to meet it's internal test.

Ring do now finally sell one specifically for their doorbells which might work. (Although that is fixed output so may not be exactly right for the Blink one)

I don't think Google as yet have a suitable UK approved one, the companies just seem to leave it to the end user to deal with the issues. There are many plug in options available on Amazon/ebay if you just want a quick fix that you can plug into a local socket.

Otherwise you may need to look around for a better doorbell transformer, though 8V is the most common available that I can find.

I read (so it must be true!) that "The Blink Doorbell needs a supply of at least 16 VAC and 10VA to function"
so the Screwfix transformer is apparently not suitable. 12V output is not enough, and the 24V output cannot deliver the necessary current.
Sorry!

Thanks guys for the advice.

Looking into it more from what you have said, looks like the issue is the lack of current. I've seen a transformer which states its outputs are 8V: 10VA; 12V: 20VA; 24V: 30VA

Does this sound like a more suitable transformer?

I believe there is a lot of bother regarding these blink doorbells in the UK which is quite disappointing from Amazon.

Looking into it more from what you have said, looks like the issue is the lack of current. I've seen a transformer which states its outputs are 8V: 10VA; 12V: 20VA; 24V: 30VA
Does this sound like a more suitable transformer?
Yes, assuming you are talking about a bell transformer rated for continuous use. The 24V 30VA output should do it.
With the caveat that I'm just taking the spec figures I saw as correct - no personal experience of this I'm afraid!

Thanks for any help
Hi - did you get any further with this - I've tried exactly the same as you with the Screwfix transformer. One thing I've noticed when mines been fitted - the Doorbell wires are in the 0 & 24v holes - have you tried the 12 &24v holes together ? I've no idea about any of this - just looking to see if sparky has put the transformer in properly. Cheers

Reply to Blink doorbell wired in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net