Discuss BMW S1 E87 Battery Positive to rear lights in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oblivion

DIY
Reaction score
Newbie here and electrics is not my forte. I can get by with installation of a car stereo and amp but that's as far as it goes. So I own a Series 1 BMW 2007 model and have just had a new AGM battery installed (which lives in the boot) I noticed a few wires coming off the positive end, one isn't connected to anything but the guy left it connected. One wire coming off positive is power supply to my amp. A smaller thinner red wire comes off positive and runs to the front of the car, no idea to what. Lastly is a thicker brown wire which runs to the front but has been electrically taped to a thinner brown wire. The thinner brown wire I have traced goes directly to the rear break lights where several wires have been snipped at the plug end. I have left it alone as my lights to the car all work fine. Just curious why on earth a single wire would be running from the positive to my break lights ( I can only assume at some point someone has messed with it, possibly aftermarket lights fitted or similar). Any ideas.

Any evidence of previous tow bar wiring. It is possible it may have been a positive permanent supply to the Canbus bypass relay.

Any evidence of previous tow bar wiring. It is possible it may have been a positive permanent supply to the Canbus bypass relay.
Nothing that is obvious. Annoying though it wouldn't be obvious for me as somewhere along the lines someone has adapted the exhaust system from singular to dual exhaust, which also entails adapting the rear bumper to fit. Looks good, sounds good but doesn't really serve any purpose other than to annoy my neighbours when I start the car at 6am. I just found it strange as being direct from the positive to the rear lights I assumed the lights would always be on, clearly not which tells me something is going on further down the wire leading to the front. I suppose so long as there is no danger involved I can live with it and was just making sure its all ok

exhaust louder than the boom box?? that will never do. it only annoys neighbours behind you, not to the sides. ??

Reply to BMW S1 E87 Battery Positive to rear lights in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net