Discuss Category for lack of RCD on sockets in 27 year old building in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Russell you can get free down loads from electrical safety first look at guidance document 4.
If the sockets can be used for outside power ie lawn mowers and the like it's c2 if not c3 . It's upto the enginer on the day as long as they can justify the code.
Thank you Flyman, that was my understanding. Not much chance of using the sockets for outdoor purposes on the 2nd & 3rd floor, unless of course they use a hover mower LOL.

according to the regs/.nothing to do with any code breakers or other irrelevant publications, it's clear as a bell.

immediate danger e.g exposed live parts).......C1

potiential danger, e.g. danger present if some other action compromised safety, ........ C2

no appearent danger, but not compliant with current regs. ........ C3.

what's the problem?
Thank you for your corroboration. That is exactly what I thought and can back it up with the regs and guidance note three but a seed of doubt was planted as I am not familiar with this publication EICR Codebreakers. However the book has just arrived and I am going to have a read.

Basically BPG#4 suggests C2 for outdoor or wet area electrics lacking RCD, C3 for other cases. Of course it is more about domestic inspection.

If you are in a commercial/industrial location with a good policy/application of PAT testing/inspection of any equipment used in the sockets being considered then I would see it hard to justify anything but C3. Excluding outdoor or wet areas obviously!

As a side note I watched a long vid on codebreakers (the people part of making it) and their justification very much related to domestic rented premises. As tenants could be very variable and their equipemnt so it is sensibly arguable in those circumstances that (maybe) C2 is justified. I think error could creep in where people are following advice which is not statutory or regulations, and take that as the same authority, it is very important to distinguish what guidance one follows. Personally I am very circumspect as regards following non statutory/regs advice.

Reply to Category for lack of RCD on sockets in 27 year old building in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net