Discuss Ceiling Light Always On. No Switch. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

ezhdehaa

DIY
Reaction score
I am mostly concerned with the current safety of my setup.

I live in a rented out basement (with full kitchen, living room, bathroom, etc). In my living room, I have two ceiling light fixtures. One of them never worked. The other works fine. I control it with a switch on the wall.

Today I tried to figure out what the issue with the light that doesnt work. (See picture) So I was able to see the underside of the socket after removing those two prongs and then undoing the wing nut. While it was like this, I decided to put a bulb in just to see if it did anything. And it actually worked! The problem is, that the bulb was on regardless of the switch on my wall (I dont know if that switch ever controlled the light, but it seems bizarre that it wouldnt). I cannot turn of the light either. I need to take out the bulb. But this has me worried now. Firstly I have no idea why the light is working now. I didnt really do anything with it, other than maybe just slightly readjust its positioning. And secondly, I am concerned that this means that the wire is "live." Im not sure if that is normal, or if its a bad thing, or if there is a danger to it.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 2.png
    836.3 KB · Views: 8

Reply to Ceiling Light Always On. No Switch. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I hope someone can help with this as I'm stumped. My landing hallway ceiling (2016-build house) has two rose pendants which I've attempted to...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I will start by apologizing for the elementary question. I'm sure you get them often. The chandelier is in a hallway controlled by a...
Replies
Views
L
WIRING FOR WALL SMART SWITCH FOR CEILING FAN/LIGHT Just bought a smart wall switch for a ceiling fan/light currently connected to a single switch...
Replies
Views
littletwinn
L
Hi, I have a single light switch, wired like this.. the 2 wires in com, with a always live wire coming to the switch, and then wire going out to...
Replies
Views
I am adding a light fixture in a room I am restoring in my 160 yo house. I have ran a new 12-2 w/ground wire from the ceiling box to a junction...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock