Discuss Charging problem in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jag

Hello,

I have a machine with 24v system. Couple of weeks ago it stopped charging the batteries. Firstly I suspected a blown fuse, which was not the case. Then I turned my attention to the alternator. It has 3 leads (battery, feedback, excitation, 4th is ground). I got no reading from those except the Bat lead, which showed 24v. I concluded the alternator is not producing no current at all.

I suspected that the rectifier is finished, so I measured whether it puts out more AC than normal (more than 0.5v). The voltmeter reading was 53v AC! I was sure the alternator was finished, so I got a new one, but the described problems are still there.

When the engine is running, I get a reading only from the Bat lead: 24v DC and 53v AC. Now the most confusing part - when ignition is on (engine not running), it still shows 53v AC, how is that possible? I believe the DC reading is essentially coming from the batteries, but how the hell I get AC voltage when engine is shut off? How to troubleshoot this net of problems?

can you supply the alternator type (make and model)
I suspect its simply not being excited so either a wire broken or a bulb blown are the common causes

can you supply the alternator type (make and model)
I suspect its simply not being excited so either a wire broken or a bulb blown are the common causes

Thank you for replying!

It's a Chinese product, useful info is hard to find, nevertheless its make and model: FAWDE JFWZ27P

I'll start preparing for tracking the excitation wire.

When the ignition is on is there a charge indicator light (usually red with a battery display showing) is it lit up when ignition on but engine not running?

Problem solved! Tracing the excitation wire led me to an unusual connection, which was not protected enough from elements, water got in and you can imagine the aftermath. I fixed it and everything is in working order again! Thank you Mykey for taking interest and pushing me in the right direction!

Reply to Charging problem in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net