Discuss Chipboard flooring.......... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kernow1

A mate and I have recently been to a house that required some pretty straight forward wiring, but it involved accessing the downstairs ceiling via the upstairs floor.

The problem occurred when the carpet was rolled back to expose chipboard flooring composed of huge sheets that actually went under dividing walls. Having not dealt with this situation before, I was hoping that some of you good people could tell me how you deal with it. Is this common? How do you set about cutting it to access the run that you need to get at? Give me floorboards any day !!

Any advice gratefully received.

Personnaly I would allow for a chippy to do the necessary, these sheets are very strong as they are but start cutting them and they loose a lot of strength, they also creak a lot if not securly fixed

You can cut suitable sized holes with a particular angled hole cutter if limited access is required,the piece removed can just be slotted back and glued
For larger removal,circular saw with blades set precisely,cut down the run of the original joists,get lots of 3x2 and screw/nail to the sides
If going against the run,lots of short lengths spanning both cut pieces and screw them all tight
Cut as wide as possible because you will weaken them whatever attemts you make
Have you noticed if there is an inspection run.they sometimes have a removabble length for pipework runs

Better idea would be
Have you got a mate who is a chippie ?

Just remember that whatever job we electricians end up making of flooring.its never as low a standard as the plumber gods make

In this situation I tend to cut against joists as if lifting regular tongue & grooved boards, ensuring; as stated in a previous post, that the depth of cut is perfectly set (generally 18mm).

By cutting a trap the full length of the room against the joists you have access to most of the required areas (including centre rose) & can cut smaller traps for sockets on the other side of the room/ walls etc. This system also allows you to keep the integrity of the boards as a whole, so reducing creak especially if you also screw down the unlifted boards at each joist.

What about the Pain ITA nails? I use a small pair of side cuters to lift them enough to insert a pry bar & If I damage a board I will replace that section.

To be honest, I reckon chipboard flooring is a bonus! So much nicer than T&G :D

First off, you need a circular saw at the correct depth .... don't worry about nails, a decent TC blade just ignores them ... just ignore the sparks :eek:

You only need to cut at right angles to joists. Or you need to cut between joists ... it rather depends on what you hoping to achieve. If joist running parallel to wall and is right against it, then I suggest you curse, otherwise, just cut holes as you need sufficient for access. Make hole bigger, no need to make life difficult.

Afterwards, just cut 2"x1" lengths of batten sufficient to run along under the existing floor opening ...assuming you cut an access away from all joists then screw bits of batten so that each piece is screwed to the perimeter to create a lip. You will then have a convenient resting place in which to place back the piece of flooring you removed ... you can screw and glue it back in place (ignore glue if squeaks not a problem).

Hope this helps

There is an insert kit you can bey all you have to do is cut out a hole insert a plastic type of coller and when finished put the bit you cut out back in the hole a great bit of kit

Reply to Chipboard flooring.......... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net