Discuss comfused by NICEIC statement in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As far as I can tell although the cables are a little shorter than ideal I wouldn't have a problem connecting them soundly without extending, and a bit more cable could be eased into the box if really necessary. Maybe this thread should be re named Much Ado About Nothing. :rolleyes:

so we agree that the plaster board should be accurately cut to the frame, a deeper frame or collar should have been used or the frame battened out and it shouldn't have been taped over at the fuse box but locked off. And wires are short. Surely NICEIC should have included this is their report? I personally have a very big issue with gypsum plasterboard being applied to a solid exterior wall as moisture gets trapped behind the gypsum so it's damp between the exterior wall and back of gypsum plasterboard. Damp and a 1in gap between a faceplate and frame is not good news

I would have thought the Electrician did a good job but didn't know the walls would be dry lined afterwards otherwise the Electrician would have just screwed the back box to the wall, otherwise I can see nothing wrong IMO.
the person who put the drylining in was the same person as the electrician

Interested in what the external walls of the house are made of? Why are you dot and dabbing onto the external wall. We dot and dabbed insulated plasterboard onto solid stone walls in one room last year. We’ve since refurbished the whole house with lime plaster direct onto the stone as it has to breathe. When we removed the insulated plaster board there was a lot of damp between the two. Expensive business as the lime plaster is a real pig to work with.

Fair enough, Not usual for both jobs to be done by one trade, even though this is the case it isn't that bad, the box is set in a bit deep though admittedly.

My opinion is that the socket box looks fine for a first fix. They’ve even used grommets and earned the backbox. We don’t even know that this could become live as for all we know it could be disconnected at the cu or at another point on the circuit. The gap between the backbox and the plasterboard is a non issue at this stage as there are extension boxes available to bring it out further not that it particularly needs it. As for contacting NICEIC that’s a bit extreme for a first fixed socket. Your concern seems to be about the plasterboard wall getting damp. Have you contacted anybody about that? Even if the backbox was extended it’s not going to stop any dampness so I really don’t get the point of this thread.

Interested in what the external walls of the house are made of? Why are you dot and dabbing onto the external wall. We dot and dabbed insulated plasterboard onto solid stone walls in one room last year. We’ve since refurbished the whole house with lime plaster direct onto the stone as it has to breathe. When we removed the insulated plaster board there was a lot of damp between the two. Expensive business as the lime plaster is a real pig to work with.
i didn't dot and dab, the electrician did. The walls are solid stone and brick. Yes i agree very poor move for dot and dab
should have been battened and used a lime plaster board to let it breath. Assumed all builders knew that. Damp walls and gap between face plate and frame is not good news.

NICEIC isn’t a qualification.

Reply to comfused by NICEIC statement in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net