Discuss Connection/splicer in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dastardley

Hi, I am installing a dashcam in my car and I want to feed off a non permanent live like in the attached photo. My problem is that I do not know what these particular connector are called and I want to do a search for them online. I know the one around the green/white wire you clamp with pliers and the light blue coloured female adapter on the red wire slots into it making the connection which for a novice like myself looks like an easy way to get the feed. Hoping someone can tell me what these are called so I can order some?

Kenny

Attachments

• V1-RRSinst-2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 55
They are called scotchlocks.

But I would strongly recommend that you do not use them, they are well known for setting fire to vehicle wiring looms.
The best thing is a soldered joint with either tape or heatshrink if that is possible.

But I would strongly recommend that you do not use them, they are well known for setting fire to vehicle wiring looms.
The best thing is a soldered joint with either tape or heatshrink if that is possible.

Agreed.

They are carp and solder is the way to go.

I've always found them pretty handy and reliable if you use the right type of Scotchlok for the application and use the proper crimpers to install them. Pliers tend to make them close at an angle so the connection is not as good.

I've always found them pretty handy and reliable if you use the right type of Scotchlok for the application and use the proper crimpers to install them. Pliers tend to make them close at an angle so the connection is not as good.

Oh aye .... If you're using them all the time then you invest in the proper kit but if you're just a bod trying to add something to a car can it be justified?

why not just solder a lead to the acc.+ on the ignition switch?

Thanks for the reply and advice Dave. I think using solder or heatshrink is beyond my capability to be honest. I only have the courage to try this myself after seeing a tutorial on a forum where the guy posted pictures and a step by step guide. He takes the feed from the centre map reading light. I have never soldered before and i would find it really difficult given the position of the map light and the small opening in which to work for a first attempt at a soldered join. These scotchlock clips just made the job look more within my scope.......but if they could prove to be a danger then i may have to think again. Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.

That connection shown is called a "Tee-tap",it is a scotch lok type fitting that when fitted,accepts a male 6.3 lucar connector. RS components,vehicle wiring products,and a dozen others sell them. They were very popular years back with the towbar fitting community,as you could bang 6 or 7 on the loom in the boot,and work like a 1930's telephone switchboard operator with the male lucars,till everything was ok. I consider scotckloks to be the "twist-nuts" of the transport world,and encourage people to use both as such behaviour ensures my bills are paid :stooge_curly: (in other words,they're shi-ite)

Reply to Connection/splicer in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net