Discuss contracts manager in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

adzberry

Hi,

Can anyone let me know what the duties and responsibilities of a electrical contracts manager is please?

Google doesn't really have a definitive answer

Cheers!

Everything to get the job done on time and within budget. Organise labour, materials, attend meetings the list is endless.

It involves a lot of headaches and earache. Don’t think you’ll be sat on you’re arse in meetings either. Every problem becomes you’re problem!

Why are you asking?

Don't do it !! I did this for a medium sized firm for several years and believe me you'll soon get tired of driving up and down our lovely motorway network to attend site meetings requested by others that last for 10 mins and if they were honest "could" have been done over the phone.
Plus as someone else said you become responsible for every stupid little problem that no one on site can be arsed to sort out.

Happyness is being responsible for your own destiny :)

I was lucky, I was plant based so no charging about in the car. We had the same contractors on site for years so had a good working relationship with them.

We were constantly altering the various plants so someone that knew the plants and process would get lumbered. The works was divided in to two sections I usually got roped in for our section of seven large plants.

It was fun at times, at times I was tearing my hair out!

The best part would be the commissioning trials. Will it work first time? Like hell it would! I was dealing with natural gas and pulverised coal, the sphincter would be twitching when it came to start up. Will it go bang? A few times it did!

I would say go for it, but go in withyou're eyes open.

I was lucky, I was plant based so no charging about in the car. We had the same contractors on site for years so had a good working relationship with them.

We were constantly altering the various plants so someone that knew the plants and process would get lumbered. The works was divided in to two sections I usually got roped in for our section of seven large plants.

It was fun at times, at times I was tearing my hair out!

The best part would be the commissioning trials. Will it work first time? Like hell it would! I was dealing with natural gas and pulverised coal, the sphincter would be twitching when it came to start up. Will it go bang? A few times it did!

I would say go for it, but go in withyou're eyes open.
we don`t like change do we dierdre

I've done the Job myself for others when an employee and still do it myself now I run a company, it can be very demanding and stressful, especially on a larger company if commercial and industrial works especially if your under time restrictions and penalties and have lots of lazy staff working for you lol, you need to run the work from start to finish within the cost the QS has agreed with the customer and need to work your wholesalers regarding materials as well as manage your team doing the physical work, on a smaller company it may be easier of course.

Reply to contracts manager in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net