Discuss Converting split load CU to Main Switch (RCBOs) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Amblik

-
Reaction score
Hi folks, i have a 16 way British General CU which was configured as split load.

I'm converting to all RCBOs which is fine apart from one small detail, i don't have a single neutral bar long enough.

The earth bar is fine - plenty of ways for CPC doubled with RCBO functional earth.
The neutral bars are 9 way and 8 way - i need a 17 way (minimum) single piece.

Can't for the life of me find them for sale anywhere! Does anyone know where i can get one?
Alternatively, can the 2 separate neutral bars be linked with one of the existing 25mm cables?
(Although i'd really rather not do this - seems like a hack and is not clear at a glance what is going on)
Any help greatly appreciated.

If it is split load as I know it then some are protected by a single rcd with the others having no rcd, correct?

just link the N bars. that's how CUs used to be configured and you took the link out if you wanted 2 RCDs. a "U" shaped bit of bare copper link was fitted by manufacturer.

just bodgit and scarper in line with niceic guidance. ( as long as your subs.is not overdue).
Or Stroma, NAPIT et al. Bit harsh tel. Not all us NIC guys are cowboys. At least north of the boarder we only have 2 registration bodies and no DI's :)

Thanks very much for the replies.
Regarding the 3 switches, i can't get away with that as it would take up too many ways which is one of the reasons for switching to RCBOs in the first place.

I don't have a manufactured link cable or solid link for connecting 2 separate neutral bars, but i could crimp one up. It just seems like a bit of an untidy job to me when i know the terminal bars can be had from somewhere. Interestingly, you can actually buy the exact same CU as a main switch only board which has the single piece terminal bar. Obviously i'm not going to go out and buy a whole new CU though.

I don't have a manufactured link cable or solid link for connecting 2 separate neutral bars, but i could crimp one up.
That's your option. But you'll need to carefully know how thick that neutral link is going to be. It could be carrying a lorra current.

As in your first post. Just use the neutral cable from the old RCD to link the two neutral bars.

But why do you simply not just put two RCBO neutral tails into each of the existing neutral busbar holes??? Numbering will not really matter as the circuit line and neutrals will be terminated on the RCBO itself.

Are you an Electrician Amblik?

^^'are you a spark?

Why the change to rcbo's?

Busted. No i'm not a spark.

As for the change to RCBOs, its mainly a space thing. The area for the CU is quite small and for future proofing i'm putting in a 16 way CU with 9 initial circuits which means 11 ways are used up with main switch and RCBOs.

Anyway, i managed to find the terminal bar online so will go down that route which will be a bit tidier.

Thanks!

No i'm not a spark.
To do that you need to be. All of the work you are doing is notifiable and you don't have a scooby on what you are doing.
EDIT: I see you are in Scotland. But don't you still need to be NICEIC or Select to do that stuff?

How are you going to test the RCBOs? Got a calibrated RCD tester? Or will you just press the test button and hope to hear a click?

As they say on Dragons' Den: I'm out.

Reply to Converting split load CU to Main Switch (RCBOs) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net