Discuss Cooker (and Dishwasher) Tripping RCDs.. in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

plipz

In summary: every time I turn on my electric fan oven it trips the RCD in my consumer unit. Although it is already on it's own RCD switch everything trips, all the sockets throughout the house but the Cooker one is unaffected.

A similar thing appeared to happen with my Dishwasher and I believed it to be a knackered switch which an electrician has now by-passed I believe, however, I tried to use the dishwasher and it tripped everything again, so now I no longer use it. I can live without the dishwasher but the Cooker is driving me loopy!!

I invariably turn off the cooker at the wall switch when not in use. The only other socket appliances I will have turned on at the same time will be: fridge-freezer, radio.... and the lighting circuits, but they're unaffected.

I'd like to try and figure out what it might be before incurring sparky costs... I wont be doing any of the fixing work myself that's for sure!!

thank you!!!!

to be honest, it looks like a pig of a fault and you will be better off getting a sparky with the diagnostic equipment to find and rectify in quick time, rather than tearing your hair out. it could possibly even be a dodgy RCD. what area are you at?

Last edited:
I was fairly convinced that it was a fault with the dishwasher, but then when the oven went too....

Would it have made any difference that I rarely use the dishwasher and until recently rarely used the oven?

I'm based near Bishops Stortford - if that's what the area comment meant!

bit far for me to come aqnd help you out. perhaps ther is somebody7 here lives near to you. however, it could be thast each appliance has some leakage and cumulatively cause the problem, ther are so many variables with this kind of fault, appliance, wiring, borroewd neutral, it's best as i said to call out a sparky

Reply to Cooker (and Dishwasher) Tripping RCDs.. in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net