• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Cowboy electrician in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bob Geldoff1234

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Cowboy electrician IMG_20200811_132831809 - EletriciansForums.net
This was installed by an "electrician" 4 months ago.Single RCD feeding 5 breakers for a two bedroom,two story house.
The lady was charged £675 for this crap and was told she'd get a certificate,which no matter how much she rings them up,doesn't seem to be forth coming.I wonder why?
It really makes my blood boil when I see stuff like this and they even get away with charging over the odds for it.

If your changing the board,then at least put in either dual RCD's or the best option,a main switch with 5 RCBO's.This install is not to BS7671 due to the RCD tripping and putting the whole house without electricity.So even though we have Part P,schemes inspecting our work etc this individual has still come in and done a substandard job,overcharged for it and done no paperwork.I sometimes wonder why we bother because no one seems to be held accountable and shoddy work just keeps being done.

we are trying to avoid discriminating against the short course qualified sparks, some may have a longstanding expertise in electrical work.

I would say, looking at it that the spark in question knew what they were doing.
they probably knew what they should be installing.

It's a strange blend of attention to detail in of forming the cables to look neat, and using a cheap board with unsuitable rcd protection etc.

It is in my opinion, someone who knows what they should do but works with the motto "that will do"

bet they are not traceable through a scheme.

With rcbos being so cheap now there really was no excuse for a front end rcd

it almost smacks of they had the board in the back of the van and just said ‘that will do’

That’s absolutely criminal....

who in their right mind starts with the lowest breaker next to the main switch
years ago, it used to be the norm to put the highest rated MCB next to the main switch and scale down along the busbar. it was as pointless then as it is now. my preference is not to put heavily loaded MCBs adjacent to each other, irrespective of rating.this is so you don't end up with 2 warm breakers warning each other.

What's at the other end of the tails?

Maybe it doesn't look too bad but BG is correct....she's been fobbed off.
Who knows the state of the installation as a whole? Whoever the installer, they should know the dangers involved and do the necessary before starting.

But if your a fully qualified 18th edition electrician then you should know that putting a single RCD on a house is a no-no.The lady said that he didn't do any testing around the house,took no readings and obviously no certs.It makes me wonder if this was done by a 3 week wonder?
Mate on here a lot of sparks argue with me for reasons not to have an RCD let alone 2. I always state a dual rcd split load consumer all the way and trying to comply with recommended board schedule layout yet most are happy with semi enclosed 3036. Good on you for pointing out this poor install.

Mate on here a lot of sparks argue with me for reasons not to have an RCD let alone 2. I always state a dual rcd split load consumer all the way and trying to comply with recommended board schedule layout yet most are happy with semi enclosed 3036. Good on you for pointing out this poor install.

Surely comparing BS3036 re-wireable fuses with a single upfront 30mA RCD is akin to comparing apples with tennis balls?

Reply to Cowboy electrician in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back