Discuss customer from hell in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The problem is the way the customer is treating me with regards to it. I've got terms and conditions in the estimate.

I may buy her a battery operated dildo just to keep her quite :)

Sorry to hijack this but do you guys do a series of tests when you go have a look an quote for a job?

or do you do the relevant tests when you get the job an before you start to remove old board?

depends on the job. if it looks to be a decent, unaltered installation, i just do a Ze and a couple of Zs readings. if it's a mess, i'll go a bit deeper.

What exactly is the problem???

i meant what is the fault, is it really such a big deal you could not have done something with it to keep the peace

its all part of the fun when taking on a CU change and unless it was a great expense i would of just sorted it out there and then, got paid, on to next job, happy customer!!

thats why i was asking what the fault is!

my thoughts too. also on comment below - dropping a cable down cavity loosely will mean its not supported throughout its run and therefore will be a non conformance on install cert. hope you manage to work something out. id assume he will want a fixed price to sort it at this stage which will be a hard one if its a nightmare to sort

So what if you're on a rewire and use the old cables to pull the new ones in say a cavity or void and you can't get in to clip it, does that mean you would put it as a non conformity on the test cert.? I think not!!

Every time on a CU swap, test the installation first then is all is good swap the CU. If anything is bad, then you either get paid for what you've done and leave the old CU in place or sort faults and fit new CU.

This is how i do it and always sees me right.

I'm quite surprised TBH at the title of this thread....personally if I had a plumber quote for a boiler change and halfway through it he said 'it's dangerous,sorry no boiler' I'd be pretty hacked off as well.

way I do it is charge for a mini 'PIR/EICR" so I know what I'm dealing with. £30-40, hour or two in my spare time, no commitments. Cash in hand, ball in their court then. If they want to pay for remedials to make the new board work, then they know, and I know, beforehand.

I never just go around for a freebee test and quote. I test and advise cheap then it all goes from there.

Every time on a CU swap, test the installation first then is all is good swap the CU. If anything is bad, then you either get paid for what you've done and leave the old CU in place or sort faults and fit new CU.

This is how i do it and always sees me right.

Same here. If faults are found I get paid for the testing and quote for the remedial works. Simple process that works for both parties.

Depends on the client really. I've won many a CU change and rewire because the client saw that I was checking the circuits and taking the time to get everything tested before quoting.

well.......
2 simple answers here:

1) how many more times do I have to say it....you do a visual on earthing & bonding arrangements and get a Ze before carrying out any work...

2) you conduct a `limited IR test on finals (global or individual)...before conducting a board change & IR between neutrals...this will identify any earth fault & borrowed/shared neutrals in the install...

it isn`t hard...it isn`t difficult and it will save all this crap in the long run...
i keep sayin it...arm yourself with a bit of info before disturbing anything and altering the characteristics of anything...

well.......
2 simple answers here:

1) how many more times do I have to say it....you do a visual on earthing & bonding arrangements and get a Ze before carrying out any work...

2) you conduct a `limited IR test on finals (global or individual)...before conducting a board change & IR between neutrals...this will identify any earth fault & borrowed/shared neutrals in the install...

it isn`t hard...it isn`t difficult and it will save all this crap in the long run...
i keep sayin it...arm yourself with a bit of info before disturbing anything and altering the characteristics of anything...

Exactly.

Reply to customer from hell in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net