Discuss Customer Payment. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Up front credit management guys.
Get a simple set of T's&C's pulled together outlining payment terms and consequences thereof for delayed payment and have that as part of your quote acceptance that your punter signs them - even if you know them previously. ALWAYS agree payment dates and valuation dates if your on a longer job.
Also………….. a firm handshake and eye contact usually give you a feel for their integrity. If the receptors twitch, try not to over expose yourself before you apply for a payment.

You'll still have sleepless nights but far fewer
:chillpill:

You say they are "a genuine couple" how do you know? most of the people who scam are thought of as "genuine" that's how they get away with it.The only way to avoid a repeat situation in future is to clearly set out your terms of payment beforehand.A sneaky trick could be to add say 50 quid to the bill and then say you'll knock 50 quid off if payment is made within x number of days,sneaky yes but plenty do it.

You say they are "a genuine couple" how do you know? most of the people who scam are thought of as "genuine" that's how they get away with it.The only way to avoid a repeat situation in future is to clearly set out your terms of payment beforehand.A sneaky trick could be to add say 50 quid to the bill and then say you'll knock 50 quid off if payment is made within x number of days,sneaky yes but plenty do it.

Heard a good one similar to that once the bloke turned round and said that it was £240 but let's call it £200 for cash, the woman replied no we won't it will be £240 and we will be round to your office tomorrow to go over your accounts, turned out she worked for HMRC.

Adding bits, discounts, jobs for cash, mark ups etc.

I'm a simple soul, I have terms and conditions and provide a written quote. They contain all the information such as work to be done, amount it will cost, what is/isn't included, payment times and so on. I don't accept cash payments, only cheques and BACS.

It's not rocket science, I do what I say I will, the customer pays me what's required when it's required and we all move on with our lives.

A well worded contract formed from terms and conditions with a quotation removes all margin for error or doubt on either side. Payment always taken in a traceable manner and HMRC can look through my books anytime they want.

Life's complicated enough without adding to it.

Heard a good one similar to that once the bloke turned round and said that it was £240 but let's call it £200 for cash, the woman replied no we won't it will be £240 and we will be round to your office tomorrow to go over your accounts, turned out she worked for HMRC.
I once quoted for a job and the guy wanted to know the cost of materials,anyway he looked at it then asked if I thought the wholesaler would lose the vat content if he paid in pound notes,turned out he was a retired vatman,how about that for hard faced lol

HMRC and the government will always make out that millions a year are lost because of 'cash' jobs but it is just a load of BS...

A customer wants to avoid VAT so pays you £100 instead of £120 - with that extra £20 he takes his mrs down the pub/puts petrol in his car etc etc...

Government still get the tax, just one or two stages later!

Unless of course the money is paid into an offshore bank account lol.

a firm handshake and eye contact usually give you a feel for their integrity. If the receptors twitch, try not to over expose yourself before you apply for a payment.

Eye contact is a funny thing. Quite a lot of people find it hostile, people with Asperger's or other autistic spectrum disorders for example.

Reply to Customer Payment. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net